Camera disaster

brrttpaul 8 243 United Kingdom
4 Oct 2018 5:41PM
Hi guys, bit of a strange question but I do value the advice I have had off here over the years. I have the nikon D500 and I mainly do wildlife/birds and landscape, recently I have been more and more into landscapes (and astrophotography) so Im doing quite a mixture. Last Saturday while out filming some waterfalls and pools my camera fell off the tripod straight into the water, (yes I know I am an idiot). I accept it as the environment that I am in is quite wild at the best of times and thjese things happen. My lenses are tokina 11-18 wideangle 2.8, nikon 70-200 2.8 VR, and a 300mm sigma lens 2.8 non vr. Right now that you know my gear and what I get upto heres the question, should I buy another D500 or could I acctually go full frame (D810 I was thinking), I realise vignetting etc with the lens I have on a full frame camera but I could always sell the glass and buy new lens. Any suggestions pros cons?
Cheers
Paul

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

4 Oct 2018 9:07PM
First of all, did you have a lens on the front?
Secondly, with Nikon, the bodies know the type of lens on the front, and as you have a single DX lens (the Tokina 11-18) vignetting will not be an issue on a full frame camera.

So you have a couple(or more)options

If you went the Full Frame route, any Nikon FF camera will automatically crop a DX lens. Meaning, the 11-18 will give you a resolution of around 10-12MP on something like the D750, and around 15MP on a D810. you will not have any vignetting due to this.

As the D500 was 20MP, with a wonderful array of AF points, you are unlikely to get a close ratio of points on FF, but you do get the wonderful IQ that FF gives. Have you thought about the D750 over the D850? This would give you more resolution over the D500, but a surplus of money to get a FF version of the 11-18 Tokina? Oh and of course a 1.4x converter for your 300mm to counter the lack of reach for the 300mm on FF
Worth a thought.
5 Oct 2018 5:17AM
I did have a lens on the front at the time, I am at the moment drying the camera out with dessicant tablets its in a box with a load of sachets and every compartment is open, I also took the battery out straight away, but the camera was in two ft of water for the best part of a minute so im not holding my breath that its going to work. I was looking at the D750 also tbh
sausage Plus
15 607 United Kingdom
5 Oct 2018 9:15AM
If the camera was switched on when it fell into the water, some of the circuits may have been damaged. But (unless it was salt water) it may be ok.
Drying it out then turning it on and keeping your fingers crossed might work!
Good luck
5 Oct 2018 1:44PM
I took the battery out straight away and I have been drying it out all week with rice and dessicant tablets, the water was fresh water. tried it this morning nothingSad
sausage Plus
15 607 United Kingdom
5 Oct 2018 2:04PM
That's a shame. Nikon repair?
5 Oct 2018 4:04PM
I was thinking of it, but deep down it wouldnt be the same, I realise its stupid but I will be always wondering what if what if , silly I know
pink Plus
16 6.1k 7 United Kingdom
5 Oct 2018 4:23PM
Surely it would be insured?
Jestertheclown 11 8.0k 252 England
5 Oct 2018 4:42PM

Quote:Surely it would be insured?

I wondered that.

My gear's all covered by my household insurance.
5 Oct 2018 5:37PM
I only rang them just over a week ago for a leaking roof lol I havnt got the heart to ring them up again (admiral)
Tianshi_angie 4 2.6k England
5 Oct 2018 6:25PM
Insurance companies are not there for you to feel sorry for - they are there to pay out on your insured property when something nasty happens. I haven't come across one yet that has a heart!
User_Removed 15 4.3k 2 United Kingdom
7 Oct 2018 3:32PM
My experience of claiming for a damaged camera from an insurance company.
1. They will make you send it to a repairer for an estimate.
2. They'll want to replace like for like and bought via someone they specify.

If you want the cash value that will be reduced.
7 Oct 2018 5:12PM
I've never claimed for a camera body but I've claimed twice for lenses; one of which I'd dropped onto a concrete floor and which was completely broken and another which I'd either lost or was possibly stolen one day in the local park.
In both cases, the process was simple; there was no request to have the broken one looked at, they simply paid me in Jessops vouchers to the value of a new replacement.
The same happened with the lost (or stolen) one.
JJGEE 14 7.6k 18 England
7 Oct 2018 7:55PM

Quote:they simply paid me in Jessops vouchers to the value of a new replacement.

Was that you choice or a condition of the insurance policy ?
7 Oct 2018 8:05PM

Quote:Was that you choice or a condition of the insurance policy ?

It was all that was on offer!
I can see how a cheque or some kind of cash settlement would appeal more but all I wanted, in each case, was a straightforward replacement, so it didn't bother me.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.