Camera disaster

thewilliam2 2 1.3k
8 Oct 2018 8:30AM
Many years back, I had some film kit stolen just as I was planning to go digital. The insurer insisted that they replace like for like so I still have a Nikon F100 body that's taken just a few hundred frames. There wasn't a choice.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brrttpaul 8 243 United Kingdom
8 Oct 2018 5:45PM
i am on the phone to them now as i type will update and let you know how i get on
8 Oct 2018 5:58PM
Well that was hort lived, even though I had a seperate policy specifically for the camera I never ticked the box to protect me away from home so not covered
Jestertheclown 11 8.0k 252 England
8 Oct 2018 6:31PM
My claims were made against my household insurance.
Does your's not cover goods away from home?
I expect that you'd have had to specify it.
8 Oct 2018 8:29PM
My wife insured the camera seperate because apparently it was over a 1000, but she did not tick the box that said away from home, I have been on the phone to them and banging my head against a wall with them, but fear not all is not lost, I just switched my camera on and it starts up, I,m thinking it hasnt dried out fully (switched it straight back off). For a week its been in a box with a bag of rice and dessicant tablets, in desperation I put it in the airing cupboard and that seems to be working a lot better, or is God just teasing me lol
Chris_L 5 5.3k United Kingdom
9 Oct 2018 8:11AM
You need good airflow to evaporate the water, that's why clothes dry out better hung on the line or a clothes horse than in a pile. Rig up a fan to gently move the air. A fan heater would work too but ensure it's at the lowest heat setting.

If you have the warmth but not the airflow then the environment will be more like a steamy bathroom, the moisture moving around then condensing on cool surfaces. You need the 'bathroom window' open and the moist air heading out
LenShepherd 11 4.0k United Kingdom
9 Oct 2018 8:21AM

Quote:My claims were made against my household insurance.
Does your's not cover goods away from home?
I expect that you'd have had to specify it.

1/ Most "standard" policies cover goods away from home; but not for either accidental damage, or theft except from a place where you are staying overnight.
2/ Most "standard" household policies do cover accidental damage either in the home or away from home.
3/ Most policies can be extended to cover goods away from home for many thefts (but not left in view in a car or overnight) and for accidental damage. On "cheap and cheerful" policies there may be a single article limit unless specified - it seems 1,000 in this case.

Their are a wide range of covers at different price levels - a bit like cameras!
Anybody with a lot of camera gear can consider a mid-range cover policy which tends to automatically provide accidental damage away from home often with a single item limit of 5,000 or higher.
HOWEVER - household policies are for private use only and not suitable for those doing even a small amount of paid work.
thewilliam2 2 1.3k
9 Oct 2018 12:41PM
I'd suggest that, the cheaper the insurance policy, the more carefully we need to read the small print.
User_Removed 15 4.3k 2 United Kingdom
9 Oct 2018 7:26PM

Quote:My wife insured the camera seperate because apparently it was over a 1000, but she did not tick the box that said away from home, I have been on the phone to them and banging my head against a wall with them, but fear not all is not lost, I just switched my camera on and it starts up, I,m thinking it hasnt dried out fully (switched it straight back off). For a week its been in a box with a bag of rice and dessicant tablets, in desperation I put it in the airing cupboard and that seems to be working a lot better, or is God just teasing me lol

Pets at home sell bags of silica gel, cat litter, you get more than enough to put around your camera.
thewilliam2 2 1.3k
9 Oct 2018 7:40PM
In the good 'ol days of film, press photographers' cameras used to get soaked on a regular basis and would be put in the film-drying cabinet when the snappers returned to base.
10 Oct 2018 8:01PM
Just an update here and wohoooo hooo camera has been in the airing cupboard this week and straight away I could see condensation on the viewfinder so I knew it still had moisture in there, first week was dessicant bags and dry rice didnt seem to do anything, now though I could acctually see the condensation circle in my viewfinder, after a few days i thought lets try it, so in went the battery and the top screen lit up YAYY I thought but wait none of the buttons down the left hnd side would work, contented that at least its not totally dead i put it back in the cupboard, tonight I thought lets try it and happy days all working, taken a fortnight but boy am I glad, my only downside is I was that close to convincing my wife that I need a D5, now I will never know lol.
Paul

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.