Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Camera bag for hiking - LowePro Sport or Manfrotto Off Road ?

Big Bri 17 16.4k United Kingdom
14 Apr 2018 10:59PM
I'm fed up with either trying to squeeze a waterproof jacket and lunch into one of the lens compartments of either of my Lowepro camera rucksacks, and also with shoving my 6D + lenses in with my waterproofs / drinks / sarnies / maps / etc in my "normal" rucksacks.

Looking for something better, I've come across two packs that both look suitable:

The Lowepro Photo Sport Backpack and

The Manfrotto 30L Off Road Hiking Backpack

Both seem to offer similar features: 20L or 30L versions, camera pack to accept "pro" DSLR and lens plus another lens or flash, with additional storage, for the usual day trip stuff. Lowepro has a compartment for a hydration bladder, Manfrotto has a strap to stop your camera swinging.
They are around the same price and get similar reviews.

So, questions for y'all:

Has anyone used/owned one of these ? If so, how do you rate them?
How much additional kit can you get in? No point buying the 20L version then finding it won't take enough kit.

TIA Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

LenShepherd 10 3.7k United Kingdom
15 Apr 2018 8:19AM
As a starting point what is the capacity of your current bag?
JJGEE 13 7.2k 18 England
15 Apr 2018 9:08AM
Mindshift Gear have a a few that may also be worth a look at, depending on the volume you are looking for.

UltraLight Dual - series
Backlight - series
Kurt42 15 2.9k 1 United Kingdom
15 Apr 2018 9:20AM
15 Apr 2018 9:51AM

Quote:As a starting point what is the capacity of your current bag?

I have (had, until our resident mouse decided to eat three of them) various sizes, mostly used around 30L day sacks up to 50L, but I used to carry wet weather gear for the kids as well and those days are thankfully gone. Smile

I'd be looking to carry a couple of water bottles, sandwiches, snacks and a waterproof coat and trousers that roll up quite small.

15 Apr 2018 9:56AM
The bigger the bag the more you want to take with you.
I find I have a more productive day with a smaller bag, the reason being you can focus on one style of photography that day instead of taking photos of everything and the bag can get really heavy with every bit of kit in

Steve
15 Apr 2018 10:20AM

Quote:The bigger the bag the more you want to take with you.
I find I have a more productive day with a smaller bag, the reason being you can focus on one style of photography that day instead of taking photos of everything and the bag can get really heavy with every bit of kit in

Yeah, I know exactly what photographic kit I will be carrying, I'm more interested in:
a - if anyone has first hand experience they could share
b - how much else the bags can carry - spare clothing, food, drink, survival kit I always carry in the mountains, etc.
seahawk 11 1.2k United Kingdom
15 Apr 2018 1:40PM
I looked at both of these as I needed to replace my old Photosport, which was getting rather battered. I liked the Manfrotto but felt it was expensive for its size. I ended up getting the new Photosport because it was in Wilkinson Cameras sale at half price. It's a vast improvement on the old version as the fabric is more robust and I'm quite happy with it, though I'm only carrying a Lumix G80 and 2 lenses nowadays plus jacket etc in the top part.
They are both good bags - I would choose the Manfrotto over the old Photosport version but the new one puts them on a par. Try them out if you can and choose the one which feels the best on your back - this was crucial for me, especially on a hot day in the Alps last summer!
15 Apr 2018 1:51PM
Thanks, that's really useful.

Don't have any camera shops locally so I can't really try them before buying.
Might order both then just send one back. Smile
Belleyeteres 7 242 United Kingdom
15 Apr 2018 10:02PM
I have a Think Tank streetwalker HardDrive backpack. I am surprised just how much you can get in it. I do not think I will need another bag of this size for a long time. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Think-Tank-StreetWalker-HardDrive-Backpack/dp/B00285D1FQ
15 Apr 2018 10:11PM

Quote:I have a Think Tank streetwalker HardDrive backpack. I am surprised just how much you can get in it. I do not think I will need another bag of this size for a long time. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Think-Tank-StreetWalker-HardDrive-Backpack/dp/B00285D1FQ

I'm very happy for you.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.