Camera Carrying... Motorbike

29 Mar 2016 11:25AM
Kriega R30 backpack

British, waterproof and specifically designed for bike use, shoulder straps are specially designed with no flappy ends and clever load-spreading support.
I use one and have often thought I'd forgotten to put it on...(a slightly smaller model mind..).

Not the cheapest, but someone we knew rode with a conventional kind of rucksack, which caught the slipsteam and made him part of the motorway central Armco barrier.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

robs 16 685 2 United Kingdom
29 Mar 2016 6:32PM
Lemmy - interesting post! I am a mountain biker too when I don't have a smashed up ankle! This was part of the attraction of the Whilster BP or possibly a PhotoSport.

Kevin - I use Kreiga a lot and keep thinking of getting one of their backpacks, probably not as a camera bag though as it would be a right pain getting in and out of it!

Shame Lowepro don't do a dryzone waist pack really....
lemmy 12 2.8k United Kingdom
29 Mar 2016 7:27PM

Quote:Shame Lowepro don't do a dryzone waist pack really....
I find I can never quite get what I really want.
Hi

I am actually riding around the UK this May - my bike a BMW 1200GSA is being shipped from Australia. I always carry my camera gear inside a Lowepro Flipside back pack which fits snugly into my right hand side bike pannier. I have travelled thousands of miles around Australia's outback over some pretty terrible roads and never had any issues with gear being shaken apart or damaged. As long as your gear is inside a quality well padded camera bag it should be fine ... especially so if you are travelling on sealed roads.

Nothing like travelling on the motorbike and having the added bonus of being able to photograph some beautiful places along the way.

Have a great trip !

Cheers
Graeme Andrew
30 Mar 2016 9:37AM
Hi Graeme

That will be a fantastic trip! When I had my Triumph Tiger I took a Canon 5D II set up around Scotland in a Crumpler bag in the top box... but on this bike I lack luggage! I suppose I could probably add a top box and adapter to the teeny shelf I fitted last summer if push came to shove, but it won't take anything particularly large I wouldn't think, and my plan had been to use if for a waterproof duffle with all my other clobber in to give me a bit more space on the seat!

I am still having something of an internal struggle with this one! I keep thinking I have come to a conclusion, then changing my mind! One of these days I may get a more suitable bike for touring again - but whilst I have a young family there simply isn't the time to do much on the bike so I can't really justify it!
30 Mar 2016 11:21PM
Right - I have come up with a plan of sorts!

Going to go with a small capacity tank bag, perhaps pop a bit of foam in the base to absorb vibration and just drop my small camera bag in there. Easy access on the go, has a rain cover and is not attached to me.

If that isn't enough I am going to add a 55l Top Box to the back for this and future trips. Should make the bike a whole lot more practical and easier to manage on any future tours that I manage to squeeze in!

Still thinking about a backpack too.... but that isn't quite so urgent now.
lemmy 12 2.8k United Kingdom
31 Mar 2016 11:06AM

Quote:Going to go with a small capacity tank bag, perhaps pop a bit of foam in the base to absorb vibration
Do be careful! That's exactly what I did with the top box on my bike which ruined my stuff. Unfortunately, foam is designed to protect from impact and it absorbs very little vibration.

I found only one cure for the problem and that was to carry the equipment in a back pack or bag attached to my person. Strapping a bag to the pillion is no more effective.

Slightly off topic but years ago a friend of mine put his Leica down on one of my Hi-Fi speakers. We played a bit of music and he picked up his Leica when he was leaving. The viewfinder was black, blank. The speaker vibration has shaken the rangefinder mirror and system to bits Sad
31 Mar 2016 11:13AM
Blimey!

I will have a look into vibration deadening materials... I am sure there will be something out there! If I was taking the Nikon that would absolutely go in a backpack or something, but the Olympus is my "danger" camera Wink I use it mountain biking and all sorts... it's not disposable, but I would cry slightly less if it were destroyed! I may even sacrifice some ability and take the pretty battered E-M5 MkI and leave the Mk II at home for my other half to use whilst I am away Wink
31 Mar 2016 11:35AM
This stuff may do the trick:

Anti Vibration Pads
31 Mar 2016 12:01PM

Quote:Hi Graeme

That will be a fantastic trip! When I had my Triumph Tiger I took a Canon 5D II set up around Scotland in a Crumpler bag in the top box... but on this bike I lack luggage! I suppose I could probably add a top box and adapter to the teeny shelf I fitted last summer if push came to shove, but it won't take anything particularly large I wouldn't think, and my plan had been to use if for a waterproof duffle with all my other clobber in to give me a bit more space on the seat!

I am still having something of an internal struggle with this one! I keep thinking I have come to a conclusion, then changing my mind! One of these days I may get a more suitable bike for touring again - but whilst I have a young family there simply isn't the time to do much on the bike so I can't really justify it!

BTW ... love your Guzzi ! Always wanted one just for that beautiful V motor and slightly 'in your face' presence Smile Will be in Scotland with a good photographer mate for two weeks enjoying the riding, national parks camping, photography and one or two 'single malts' along the way. Cheers
31 Mar 2016 12:32PM
When are you going to be there?

The riding is great, we did a 2 week tour following the coast with a little island hopping along the way! I have spent so long exploring the hidden parts of Scotland that it was a trip down memory lane largely, but no less wonderful for it! I would be more than happy to give you some ideas if you want - and if you happen to be in the same area at the same time more than happy to share a dram Wink

31 Mar 2016 10:37PM
Went to I.O.M. TT last year, with a top box on the rear, and DSLR camera gear with lenses in a Think Tank - Restrospective 30 bag - wedged back against it on the pillion section, on a lump of non-slip mat (more to combat abrasion of the seat material..).

Elasticated rain cover over it and held down with an elastic spider strap thing...(lots of hooks..). Nothing has been shaken to bits I'm aware of...and we covered many many miles..

Bike is BMW F800ST, maybe the seat base is a little broader, but it fitted and worked very well.

Do like that MG though, the first make I remember gluing my face to the showroom glass of, before passing me test...! Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.