Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Camera Insurance

frankiej 6 12 United Kingdom
24 Apr 2013 7:40AM
Hi there,

I'm looking to insure my camera stuff and wondered whether anyone has any experience with making a claim with any of the companies. I work as a photographer's assistant and thought about upgrading home insurance to cover accidental damage etc. As I don't earn money specifically from using my camera, I just work in the sector I'm not sure whether I'd have to get photography specific insurance. Any ideas??


Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

You can get polices specifically designed for photographers who earn just a small income from there photographic work.
I use Aduku. Im a full time pro and i run workshops & overseas tours. They adapted my insurance for my work and own requirements. The customer service is exellent and the price was better than i expected. However ive never made a claim.
You could upgrade your home isurance but you wouldn't get public liability. And i would advise getting it,
muzzeyman 14 293 United Kingdom
24 Apr 2013 7:07PM
Give E&L a try, I used to use them years ago as they did policies that could be tailored around the individual. Premiums were fairly reasonable too.

Website Here
Coleslaw 12 13.4k 28 Wales
24 Apr 2013 7:19PM
E&L is the one you should stay away!
knownowt 7 24 United Kingdom
24 Apr 2013 7:29PM
I used Aduku when I went to the Falklands. Good price etc. Never claimed from them though.
geoffash26 14 2.5k United Kingdom
24 Apr 2013 7:30PM
Aaduki get my voteSmile and I've had to claimSad Superb service
LenShepherd 10 3.6k United Kingdom
25 Apr 2013 3:01PM

thought about upgrading home insurance to cover accidental damage etc.

Prior to retirement I spent 40 years in insurance ending up as a regional underwriting manager and held the top insurance professional qualification of F.C.I.I.
Provided you do not live in a high crime area and, as you confirm, do not make any money as a professional photographer, this type of cover is cheaper, usually gives wider cover, often has more cover in an unattended vehicle during the day, and has a lower excess than "stand alone" policies - provided you make sure the accidental damage cover applies away from home.
Good cover for this type of extension is more likely to be available if your home insurance is arranged through an insurance broker. Call centre and "bank" insurance type policies "pile them high and sell them cheap" often with less or even no cover for the type of extension you are looking for.
Depending on where you live cover is likely to be available for less than 2% on a replacement value sum insured on a new far old claim basis including cover in an unattended vehicle during the day and up to 28 days holiday overseas.
karl 14 642 United Kingdom
28 Apr 2013 2:14PM
Big problem with Aaduki, their website doesn't actually work. You try and submit an enquiry for insurance after their instant quote and it never goes anywhere.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.