Super Saturday - Win A 32GB Samsung Memory Card!

Camera insurance

john p 15 100
12 Aug 2004 5:49PM
Thinking of taking out E and L camera insurance, about 36 per year for 1300 worth of gear, but they exclude loss ie if I leave gear on a train or in a cafe. Also if one of my kids grabs and drops camera thats not included.

Any experiences or recommendations for insurance?


Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

jeanie Plus
15 6.0k 6 United Kingdom
12 Aug 2004 6:04PM
Hi John
Just check your house contents insurance - it may be that you are already covered with that, rather than pay out and duplicate your insurance.

Little Jo Plus
17 2.3k United Kingdom
12 Aug 2004 6:13PM
Glover & Howe are highly recommended. They cover theft, accidental damage, also theft from the boot of a locked vehicle up to 9pm. They are a nice little company to deal with and are always very helpful.

Oh yes, if you're an EOS mag subscriber, you get 10% discount. E&L aren't a good company - I used to have pet insurance with them and they exclude all sorts of things. Tango when she was a kitten had a minor infection in her nose, and that condition was excluded from her policy right up to the point where I cancelled it. They're expensive for the cover they do give.

For a small kit, house insurance is probably a good way to go, but check the small print.

gibbsy 15 403 Wales
12 Aug 2004 6:13PM
My house insurance policy covers all my gear. Make sure it's on possessions and has a accidental damage included. I've only ever made one claim for a dropped medium format lens. Full payment was made less of course, the excess.
Pete Plus
17 18.8k 97 England
12 Aug 2004 6:15PM
Details of Glover and Howe are here
UserDeleted 16 3.6k
12 Aug 2004 6:25PM
Don't touch E&L with a barge pole - very restrictive T&C's.

Look at Glover & Howe or my insurer - Camerasure Alliance.

Remember if you are using your camera for profit then normal house insurance probably won't cover it.....

john p 15 100
12 Aug 2004 8:36PM
Thanks everyone, i shall check with the alternatives you have suggested
nigelf22 14 583
13 Aug 2004 9:50AM
Checked the Glover & Howe "small print" which will fit the bill for land use, does anyone know where I can get flood damage cover for my Motormarine III?
UserDeleted 16 3.6k
13 Aug 2004 9:55AM
Might want to contact some dive schools or organisations such as PADI- they would be best placed to advise you I would have thought...

nigelf22 14 583
13 Aug 2004 11:43AM
Thanks Mike - I was looking for a response from anyone who has cover with a reputable company and know that they're OK....
UserDeleted 16 3.6k
13 Aug 2004 12:13PM

I very much doubt that anyone has specific underwater insurance for their camera equipment on this site AND has had to use it - which is the only way that you REALLY know the company is good to deal with.

A dive organisation would at least have experience through it's members...

but good luck anyway
nigelf22 14 583
13 Aug 2004 12:46PM

You are right, I should go to a specialist via a magazine. I was hoping not to have to duplicate cover for my land cameras as well as my u/w kit and wondered if there was cover for both from one source. I suppose there can't be many people who take two centre holidays....

My fault that I didn't beleive that with such a popular and knowledgable members forum this site lacked a member who had a dedicated u/w camera and insurance. If they have an u/w camera it would have flooded ergo they would have claimed. It's not "if" they flood, it's "when"!


Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.