Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Enter ePHOTOzine's Prize Draw, with fab gifts for everyone! Click Here

Camera Kit Insurance

Rich_H 12 18
16 Jun 2004 8:50AM
Hi Folks,

Can any of you recommend a good insurance company (in the UK) who insure camera equipment?

I have recently upgraded some of my kit and I would like to make sure that it is sufficiently covered. (I have checked my home & contents insurance and it does offer enough cover).

Many thanks


Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

craigdonnelly 15 260 England
16 Jun 2004 10:12AM
If your house insurance does offer enough cover - why look elsewhere? If its a typo - and your policy doesnt cover it - can you not get it added onto it for a small premium? If you have "personal possessions" cover - you can tag it onto that.
zeus68 13 64
16 Jun 2004 12:12PM
Make sure you have a good contents insurance which coveres for accidental damage and loss or theft outside your home or abroad for personal belongings. I am with Direct Line but there are loads of companies to cover you for home contents
Rich_H 12 18
16 Jun 2004 1:01PM
Ok, spot the typo!

My house insurance does *not* offer enough cover, specifically for a single item.

I will investigate if I can get the gear added as separate items though.

lordposh 12 45 United Kingdom
16 Jun 2004 1:19PM
have you tried getting cover just for your camera? some companies are reasonably and for a few pounds a month you would have some good cover..
Check out this link..


cal9 13 99
16 Jun 2004 1:27PM
We're covered with Lloyds TSB Building and Contents Insurance. I recently made a claim because my son knocked my Canon T70 off the kitchen worktop, they paid out for an equivilant replacement (Canon 300V) minus the excess (50) All I had to do was to get a letter from Jessop's stating that it was beyond reasonable financial repair.

craigdonnelly 15 260 England
17 Jun 2004 12:27PM
Entertainment & Leisure will do it but beware the excess.......its usually a percentage of the sum insured with a minimum figure - which is often more than a usual home contents policy (i'm an insurance broker btw.....) - but it could be worth checking out.

As for the single item limit on your existing policy - most stuff we deal with these days is 1500. Spose it depends on the exact kit you've got but as a single item - that should be enough? My 10D comes in at under that......if u include the lens the it tips over.....but thats 2 items.....not 1! As for accidental damage cover - if you've got "personal possessions" cover - accidental damage cover comes with it.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.