'Portrait Photography' Competition - Win A Samyang 85mm F/1.4 FE II Lens!

Camera Rain cover

snapbandit 18 2.3k 3 Northern Ireland
12 Aug 2004 9:26AM
Anyone have any advice as to what camera/rain cover is best when you 'have' to get photos no matter what the weather is doing?

what do the news/sports guys use?

Joe B
jimthistle73 18 2.4k 1 United Kingdom
12 Aug 2004 9:38AM
I use a home made Heath Robinson type affair involving a cheap golf brolly and an old lightweight rucksack.

The idea was copied from the poor chaps who walk around London flogging tickets to West End shows.

You feel a bit daft, but it certainly does the job unless the rain is horizontal - also much cheaper than waterproof camera covers or underwater housings!
pjc 18 397 United Kingdom
12 Aug 2004 9:56AM
I've seen examples of photographers pushing the lens down the sleave of a rain coat and using the rest as a make shift hide under which to operate the camera. I think it was in the old 35mm photogrtaphers handbook
csurry 20 9.2k 92
12 Aug 2004 9:57AM
I know one wildlife photographer who used the sleeve of an old waterproof camaflague jacket where the body of the jacket was beyond use. Looked like a neat solution to me.
pjc 18 397 United Kingdom
12 Aug 2004 10:18AM
Snap !
andytvcams 19 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
12 Aug 2004 11:19AM
Try a shower cap,you get them free in most hotels.
Miles Herbert 20 1.9k 4 United Kingdom
12 Aug 2004 11:22AM
I use a heavy duty garden bin liner in a rather natty green colour, and some gaffer tape to hold it all together!
Burgy_Tog 18 634 United Kingdom
12 Aug 2004 12:10PM
A few of us use plastic bags and elastic bands, others use rain capes (canon make ones for 70-200/300mmF2.8 and 400F2.8/600mmF4.

There are also 3 party suppliers
UserRemoved 18 6.2k 1
12 Aug 2004 10:48PM
On my Fuji: plastic bag and rubber bands.

On my Sigma a proper Ewa Rain Cape - advantage being: camera/lens totally inside with lens pushed up to an optical glass front which allows barrel rotation (focussing for my lenses). How I got my Waterchute and Under the Waterfall shots
snapbandit 18 2.3k 3 Northern Ireland
13 Aug 2004 12:42AM
Great info so far guys!

If anyone can remember where any of the 'ready made' ones can be purchased I'd be most grateful!

Joe B
phil beale 19 1.5k United Kingdom
13 Aug 2004 12:57AM
A company called CameraMac purpose made covers to suit your camera make and model and also to suit your longest lens length. They also have a clear see through panel for LCD displays.

They normally fix over the eyepiece and attach by Velcro on the lens hood. Depending on your lens length they cost around 35-40. Not available from the shops but mail order direct from the company. If anyone is interested I see if I can find the contact details.

UserRemoved 18 6.2k 1
13 Aug 2004 7:25AM
Got my cape through these guys. Fast, friendly
Cameras Underwater
In operation its OK to use rather than great, but you can operate buttons from outside, as well as see to compose. Find it easier to put hand inside (but you then have to keep hand dry!

I've now attached a lens cloth and eyelet to it - former to wipe glass, latter to attach to my camera bag (to dry off and have ready if needed again)
phill 18 1 United Kingdom
13 Dec 2009 9:28PM
I use one of these..


They do them for all sizes and post to most places!
Cristian 17 950 1
13 Dec 2009 9:44PM
I carry around a couple of OpTech rain sleeves. Very very cheap from memory. (5-6?)
jimthistle73 18 2.4k 1 United Kingdom
13 Dec 2009 11:58PM
Wow! Now that's what I call thread resurrection!!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.