Camera suitable for a five year old

kit-monster 16 3.7k 2 Singapore
8 Dec 2007 4:07PM
Can anyone recommend a camera for a five year old? Ideally it should be pretty rugged, simple to use and have a view finder. My son likes to take pictures but finds my slr a little heavy . . . Smile And my point and shoot doesn't have a view finder. I was wondering if an underwater camera might be more suitable as they appear to be pretty rugged and if it gets dropped in a puddle it wont matter.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Bogdan_B 13 7
8 Dec 2007 4:27PM
As stupid it might sound try a Holga.They are not very good at beeing rugged but at around 17 is very cheap to replace.Plus that camera with the imagination of a five year old could be a bril combination.
Regards,
Bogdan
if you google fisherprice camera you will find some
kaybee 16 7.3k 26 Scotland
8 Dec 2007 5:24PM
Olympus are advertising a camera on TV at the moment that is (if you believe the ad) is pretty childproof

here
Big Bri 19 16.6k United Kingdom
8 Dec 2007 5:38PM
Edward, my youngest daughter (7) was shooting with my Canon G5 from age 4. She now alternates between that, a cheapo Fuji one and an HP 927. Both the Fuji and the HP one have been dropped on carpets and grass and survived.
Worst thing is the shutter lag, as kids tend to be impatient - I have seen lots of photos of the floor, where she's pressed the shutter, then moved the camera before it's got round to taking the shot!
Because of that, I am trying to get my eldest daughter (11) to start using my old 10D (then I can justify that 40D to my Mrs Wink )
thewaiter 18 1.2k 9 England
8 Dec 2007 6:53PM
my lad has a Fisher Price one....... very robust, which is just as well with the amount of times it's been dropped!!

Kevin
pepperst 12 2.3k 4 Wales
8 Dec 2007 9:30PM
Take it film is an option, what about a lomo. Only has a basic top viewfinder but produces awsome photos.

four pics on one neg and only 12 on e-bay. Rugged, water resistent (I think), fun and good with kids.

ok I have one and still havn't grown up Smile
Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
8 Dec 2007 9:36PM
I`m with Kaybee, another link as I could not get the last one to work Smile

here
stevekhart 14 4.5k 3 United Kingdom
8 Dec 2007 11:27PM
My five year old uses a 4mp jenoptik - not paricularly rugged but has lasted fine for 6 months so far and at 20 (Jacobs) was by far best vfm. Has a viewfinder and simple controls, not too small and flimsy.
kit-monster 16 3.7k 2 Singapore
12 Dec 2007 6:59PM
Thanks all. So great advice. Made me realise I could probably give him my old s45. I bought it the day before he was born!

i thought about film . . . I can just imagine the look of horror when he can't see his creation immediately!

Brian - I'd hang on for the 5d II.
RipleyExile 17 1.6k 17 England
12 Dec 2007 7:20PM
My 3 year old has taken snaps (floors, etc) digitally on my dslr (with help), compact and camera phone. I was taking some shots on my film slr one day and of course she wanted to have a go. Took the first shot and immediately looked at the back of the camera. The puzzled look on her face was worth a picture itself.
Big Bri 19 16.6k United Kingdom
12 Dec 2007 7:40PM

Quote:Brian - I'd hang on for the 5d II.

If it's got 6.5 fps, a crop sensor with auto cleaning and is less than 700, then I will Smile
Carabosse 17 41.4k 270 England
12 Dec 2007 7:42PM
Hmm... interesting! BB has a 5D but wants a crop sensor. I have a 5D but recently bought a prosumer.

Funny old world! Wink
malum 16 630 1 United Kingdom
12 Dec 2007 10:26PM
I bought my five year old one of these (from these guys) for Christmas 55 delivered.
She loves swimming, is always borrowing my ixus with it's underwater case and the underwater case also makes it very tough.
I've seen them on sale for 100 elsewhere.
karenpics 15 2
12 Dec 2007 11:27PM
hi i have just been to the asda and got 4 kids digitel cameras for 5 each they look good. They are for kids from the age of 5 to 11 years old i hope they like them.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.