Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Cameras vs Smartphones - a question of quality not convenience

LenShepherd 13 4.4k United Kingdom
19 Jun 2021 8:34AM

Quote:Mobile phone photography is an integral part of a much bigger cultural phenomenon,

So far I agree.

However a large part of the cultural phenomenon is that mobile phones do much more processing before displaying the image.

Another part of the cultural phenomena is that there is now a wealth of of initially specific camera phone postprocessing equipment at affordable prices prices.

Considering the last five "advanced equipment " photographic level photo competitions I have been involved with four first place one third place were taken with mobile phone images.

Anybody can photograph with the equipment of their choice - and "conventional" DSLR/ML has a much wider range of lenses - particularly telephoto.

Even so part of the cultural revolution is most of the wider public correctly recognised that quite often much better photos automatically post processed in camera can be taken using a mobile phone.

altitude50 17 21.7k United Kingdom
19 Jun 2021 8:57AM
About 4 years ago I just happened to be in a car park and our local MP turned up with entourage, one of his assistants approached me holding a mobile 'phone and said 'would you mind taking a photo of our group?'
I said 'yes, I have 1000 worth of camera in the boot of my car, would you like me to use that?' Reply - 'No thanks, we want to put it on social media'.
Fair enough, but I never use a 'phone to take photos so I struggled to frame the photo and to know where the 'shutter' release was.
The photo was used in his publicity newspaper later.
GwB Plus
1 68 United Kingdom
20 Jun 2021 7:28AM
Mobile phones are a great tool for social media and can produces fantastic shots for recording and posting everyday life online, their is so much that would be just somebody's memory that is now recorded for prosperity. I quite often use my phone whilst out and about with my main camera to capture a landscape or scene as it saves changing my lens from shooting birds and wild life which a smart phone is not up to capturing distant subjects in detail. I dare say that some day tech will overcome these problems. I wonder how much smart phone tech has been scaled up to modern cameras, I first heard of picture stacking multi shots to produce 1 photo used in a smartphone, now this is becoming a common feature in modern cameras. I dont think phones will replace DSLR 's but will be used along side them, I know a lot of people who have got into photography via smartphone and bought a DSLR as they want to take this interest further.
Kako 15 171
20 Jun 2021 11:02AM
What's a 'smartphone'?
Carabosse 18 41.6k 270 England
26 Jun 2021 9:26PM
I do agree that ergonomically a mobile phone can be awkward and I don't really enjoy taking photos with it. I do think this affects the general 'merit' of the output: one just wants to get it over with rather than take any trouble.

But for small photos for the web, email and social media, which I guess is the vast majority of pics taken these days, smartphones are more than adequate.

I always used to carry a compact everywhere. Those days are gone.
miptog 15 3.6k 65 United Kingdom
10 Jul 2021 1:17PM
Recently returned from a mini-break in Cornwall. I saw less than a handful of dSLR's being used, and no compacts. The phone of choice was a smartphone. Took a compact (canon G9) with me and a smartphone (iPhone 5s), leaving the dSLR (Nikon D200) at home. I found it cumbersome trying to use both the compact and smartphone at the same time, and after the second day only used the smartphone. Additionally having to take a spare batteries and a charger with lead for the compact was a nuisance. The pano function (wide-angle) and HDR functions on the iPhone enabled me to get indoor shots which the G9 couldn't do. I found the smartphone adequate for the "holiday snaps".
11 Jul 2021 2:53PM
It's rare to see a camera of any sort being used these days except by pros at events.

12 Jul 2021 8:20AM

Quote:It's rare to see a camera of any sort being used these days except by pros at events.

Not where I go - it is almost 100% DSLR or ML.
12 Jul 2021 10:39AM

Quote:

Ah so you just go to.camera club outings! Tongue
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
12 Jul 2021 12:35PM

Quote:It's rare to see a camera of any sort being used these days

Of any sort? Really?
12 Jul 2021 2:51PM
See the occasional compact, bridge cam or or an oldish DSLR (used by oldish people!)

But in any major photogenic gathering, e.g. a London tourist trap, cameras are outnumbered by smartphones about 20 to 1.
saltireblue Plus
11 12.2k 76 Norway
12 Jul 2021 2:52PM

Quote:
Quote:

Nooo...
Here...
128530_1626097942.jpg

Jestertheclown 12 8.5k 253 England
12 Jul 2021 3:57PM

Quote:See the occasional compact, bridge cam or or an oldish DSLR (used by oldish people!)

But in any major photogenic gathering, e.g. a London tourist trap, cameras are outnumbered by smartphones about 20 to 1.

Yep.

I was on London's Southbank, the weekend before last and although it was busy, there was hardly a camera in sight.
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
13 Jul 2021 12:50PM

Quote:But in any major photogenic gathering, e.g. a London tourist trap, cameras are outnumbered by smartphones about 20 to 1.

and do these 'smartphones' have cameras?
14 Jul 2021 8:35AM

Quote:
Quote:

Thinking before commenting has benefits.

I rarely go on camera club outings.

How about wildlife, architecture, family, event and sports photography?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.