Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Cameras vs Smartphones - a question of quality not convenience

LenShepherd 13 4.4k United Kingdom
14 Jul 2021 8:37AM

Quote:What's a 'smartphone'?

It is a generic term for phones that can take processed photos, connect to the internet, include a compass, track how far you have walked, include a calculator, can make a phone call without a landline etc etc.
saltireblue Plus
11 12.0k 75 Norway
14 Jul 2021 8:42AM

Quote:
Quote:What's a 'smartphone'?

It is a generic term for phones that can take processed photos, connect to the internet, include a compass, track how far you have walked, include a calculator, can make a phone call without a landline etc etc.

I bet Keith already knew all that...
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
14 Jul 2021 11:58AM
I do now.....and you don't even need a landline, apparently. Who knew? Wink
Carabosse 18 41.6k 270 England
14 Jul 2021 7:04PM
A smartphone connects to wifi. Non-smartphones don't. That's really the only fundamental difference.

The wifi can be landline based or mobile based. You can even get a smartphone which looks like an ancient and unsmart one. LINK
saltireblue Plus
11 12.0k 75 Norway
14 Jul 2021 7:31PM

Quote:I do now.....and you don't even need a landline, apparently. Who knew? Wink

The other one rings if you pull it.Tongue
14 Jul 2021 9:16PM
Well it sounds like Sunday morning at St Barnabas after CBs last post. Its like having my old neighbour in my ear.
Does it need WiFi?
14 Jul 2021 9:31PM
Well it may be informative to some!Tongue

Terms like smartphone are bandied around without anyone actually querying what it means.

It doesn't mean a phone with loads of "apps" or whatever. It can be something as simple as the modern version of the Nokia 3310 I linked to. I think I owned the original non-smart version about 20 years ago.
15 Jul 2021 1:35AM
As Tech gets smaller, note Sigma SP ??, the notable difference between mobile phones and high end cameras will become less and less obvious to the eye, even now, some cameras look similar to mobiles.

Personally, I do not own a Mobile, but do own a collection of cameras and lenses, and the one comment I have never heard, as yet ?

" That is a nice Smartphone, does it take good pictures?" WinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWink
15 Jul 2021 12:59PM
To be fair, there's two things that determine the choice of 'smartphone' (and none of them ever call it that) in the yoof. Is it the latest, most desirable one that their mates are getting and what's the camera like?
15 Jul 2021 8:16PM

Quote: the one comment I have never heard, as yet ?

" That is a nice Smartphone, does it take good pictures?"

If you use a camera you will soon hear "What on earth is that you're holding?" Tongue

petebfrance 9 3.1k France
17 Jul 2021 12:28PM
There'll come a day when people compliment a photo by saying 'you must have a good phone' instead of 'camera.'Smile
17 Jul 2021 5:06PM

Quote:There'll come a day when people compliment a photo by saying 'you must have a good phone' instead of 'camera.'Smile

Oh that day has already come! And it's just as irritating, if not more so, if you actually have used a camera.hmm-light.jpg
18 Jul 2021 9:21AM

Quote:
Quote:There'll come a day when people compliment a photo by saying 'you must have a good phone' instead of 'camera.'Smile

Oh that day has already come! And it's just as irritating, if not more so, if you actually have used a camera.hmm-light.jpg

One of the best come backs I have heard to THAT remark is thus:_

" Nah, it don't do nuffink if I don't press the shutter !! " From a pro friend at Denny Abbey, Cambridgeshire to an overlarge American gentleman who kept hovering.
SteveAitch 3 61 United Kingdom
18 Jul 2021 10:24AM

Quote:

And this, which I cobbled together some time ago, is therefore still relevant...
312140_1626600228.jpg

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.