Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PortraitPro 17 with Background Editing Out Now! EXTRA 10% OFF code EPZRS17

Camo Cloth

Peter_West 6 244 United Kingdom
21 Jun 2012 9:13PM
Hi all. Not sure if this is in right section, Tongue, what i am after is a piece of camo cloth say about 2 or 3mtr square, to put over me and camera, be better if it was waterproof, anybody use something like this, and which supplier they used, Thanks Pete

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c 13 4.9k 36 England
21 Jun 2012 9:28PM
It's generally referred to as a bag hide. You can probably buy one from Wildlife Watching Supplies. If you just want the fabric to make your own, try any decent fabric shop. You can usually buy it by the meter. If you don't have a fabric retailer in your local town just have a look online for camouflage material and buy it that way.
If you can't find that particular pattern, just get some plain green fabric. The pattern, or non-patterned, as the case may be, won't make the slightest difference to the wildlife, it's concealing the human shape that is key.
User_Removed 13 17.9k 8 Norway
21 Jun 2012 9:34PM
Don't where you are located geographically Pete but I live near a place called Camberley in Surry. Camberley home the to the Royal Military Academy and the town itself has a fabulous military outfitters - not from an Officers Dress uniform perspective - but from 'the lads' perspective! Wink The place is 'knee-deep' in 'camo' of all kinds.

So - sus out where you live for military outfitters (you'd be surprised! Wink) and see what they have to offer. Otherwise - let google be your friend here....

Paul Morgan 16 18.9k 6 England
21 Jun 2012 9:49PM
What you need is a "Basher" this is where I go

Steve_S Plus
12 180 3 United Kingdom
21 Jun 2012 10:12PM
Camo netting though not waterproof, may be useful too. It will give you better visibility but will keep you hidden. Ebay is as good a place as any.
ourdayphotos 5 229 Scotland
21 Jun 2012 10:22PM
A basha or military cape (same thing) costs about 19 quid from ebay. I recently got one & it's fantastic. If you can get one of those small tripod seats then tripod mount your camera at eye height stick your lens through the hood part with you behind, works a treat.
Paul Morgan 16 18.9k 6 England
21 Jun 2012 10:40PM

Quote:A basha or military cape (same thing)

No not really, no hood in a basher, its just a water proof camo sheet used for quick shelters.
ourdayphotos 5 229 Scotland
21 Jun 2012 11:12PM
They sell them with hoods too & you can join 2 together to make a bed, shelter etc, you also get them without a hood as you describe. The ones with the hoods also have metal rings around the edges as do the others to enable tying etc. The ones with the hoods are better as I've said because you can put your zoom lens through the hood with the rest of the garment over you front & back. You can also pull the neck down to look through the hole rather than constantly looking through the viewfinder, this gives you a wider view of what's around. I also found that the insects & flies don't come inside for some reason. The downside is that on summer days it does get rather warm inside & that's even without the side press studs fastened.
keith selmes 14 7.3k 1 United Kingdom
21 Jun 2012 11:47PM
Cape is a groundsheet with a collar on one side so you can wrap it round you, do up the press studs and wear it like a cape. You can clip 2 or 3 together and make a shelter. More of a collector item I would think.

Basha is a larger sheet rather like a tarpaulin and sometimes called a tarp, with eyelets for cords and used as a shelter. Typically rather large to wear as a cape.

A poncho is like a small basha with hole in the middle for your head, and a hood.
Typically with eyelets at the corners so you can use it like a basha, and press studs on the edges so as with the cape, that can be your fastening when wearing it, or you can clip them together and make a bigger shelter.
I suppose you could call it a cape but it isn't really. I think my poncho, pretty cheap from ebay, might do the job required in this thread.

Anyhow, I think that's right. There is room for overlap in the definitions.

Cammo net is interesting stuff too, I got some realtree and cut down to different size pieces. Not very expensive.
keith selmes 14 7.3k 1 United Kingdom
21 Jun 2012 11:54PM
Oh, I see some confusion would arise from ebay dealers using all possible descriptive words in the style of keywording so they get maximum search hits. So they're selling a poncho bivvy basha rainproof cape sort of thing.
Peter_West 6 244 United Kingdom
22 Jun 2012 7:54AM
Hi all. Thanks everyone will check these different variations out, been keeping am eye on a barn owls nest for the last few weeks, which canít believe every time I have been nobody else there, so possibly only me knows about it, and best part I can get pretty close to it without spooking them, went last night and thought one of these camo things would be ideal, also might protect me a bit the midges where out in force last night. Thanks Pete
Big Bri 16 16.3k United Kingdom
22 Jun 2012 10:04AM
If you just want camo material and can hem it yourself (or dare I say it, get 'er indoors to do it Smile ) you can probably pick it up for a couple of quid a metre from a fabric shop (not waterproof). I have some I use as a backdrop sometimes. (Although the camo gear I actually wear is slightly more expensive Wink English oak pattern stuff....)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.