Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

camping it up in the Lakes!

MikeBonsall 15 474 3 Guernsey
2 Aug 2006 3:19PM
Just found out that I'm going to be heading to the Lake District again for a couple of days in two weeks time.

My wife and I are going to take the light-weight tent with us and would really like to spend at least one night wild camping whilst we're there, somewhere that's going to give us potentially good sunset/sunrise photo ops and nice and high up for great views.

I'd appreciate any tips on potential locations. Also what's the official policy for wild camping in the Lake District NP?

Many thanks

Mike
SimPick 15 545 2 Azerbaijan
2 Aug 2006 3:27PM
Was a bit confused with the title there. Should it be -

Camping it up, in the lakes.

Or

Camping it, up in the lakes.

I am not trying to cast doubt on your sexuality, but it did confuse me at first. If it's the first one, don't forget to take your crotchless leather trousers, stick-on moustach, and a nice black leather cap with a chain round it.
dark_lord Plus
17 2.8k 767 England
2 Aug 2006 3:35PM
Lol @ Simon, I didn't read it that way but should've guessed someone on here would.
2 Aug 2006 3:43PM
lol

just trying to get peoples attention! Smile
2 Aug 2006 3:45PM
I was also a bit concerned with the line.

Quote:Also what's the official policy for wild camping
Beardy 16 79 United Kingdom
2 Aug 2006 3:46PM
As long as you go for minimum impact, the national park, has no problem with people wild camping. Just make sure that everything that you take in to the site, comes out again.

As for locations, have a look at the maps and choose somewhere, once you know what the weather is going to be doing. Feel free to message me for a few suggestions.

Paul
loweskid 19 2.0k 1 United Kingdom
2 Aug 2006 3:56PM

Quote:Also what's the official policy for wild camping in the Lake District NP?

The official policy is that you shouldn't camp anywhere without the land owner's permission, and all the land is owned my somebody (mostly the National Trust in the Lakes). The unofficial policy is that you ignore all that and camp anywhere (except on farmed land of course).

The main problem when camping very high is to find water - careful study of the map is called for. There is a good spot not far below the summit of Scafell Pike towards Lingmell and if you cast around you'll find a small spring in a shallow gulley - at least I did about ten years ago! There's a good spot by Sprinkling Tarn, below Great End, but you probably won't be alone there. Lot's of other good spots too numerous to mention. Study the map - IMO sunrise/sunset are usually improved with water in the foreground. I'm sure you'll keep an eye on the weather though - not a good idea to be camped near mountain summits if thunderstorms are forecast!
2 Aug 2006 4:03PM
thanks for that. We were considering an area near Scafell actually (my wife's done a lot of hiking around there).

Time to dig out the OS maps and start planning (and the leather trousers of course Smile.
collywobles 17 4.1k 10 United Kingdom
2 Aug 2006 4:08PM
I find a Garmin Etrex Legend Sat Nav a valuable item when hiking in country like this. It'll get you down even in Fog.
Beardy 16 79 United Kingdom
2 Aug 2006 4:17PM

Quote:I find a Garmin Etrex Legend Sat Nav a valuable item when hiking in country like this. It'll get you down even in Fog.

But so will a map and a compass, at a fraction of the cost or when you run out of batteries!
Scanny 16 29 United Kingdom
2 Aug 2006 4:35PM
Have a look at Langdale. In the spring we hiked from the head of the dale up to Crinkle Crag. Terrific views down the dale with lake Windermere in the distance. Couple of good pubs too - had a gay old time Smile
Phil
BOB S 18 2.6k
2 Aug 2006 5:01PM

Quote:Couple of good pubs too - had a gay old time Smile

Now that title is worrying me !!

BOB
2 Aug 2006 6:15PM
Me too Bob.

All this talk of going up dales (Dale Winton I presume)/ and running out of batteries/Sprinkling Tarn below Great End/going down in fog/and up crags !!

Bloody hell, the Lake District sounds as gay as it gets !
Lord alone knows what they do with their tripods !
dave thelens 17 936 United Kingdom
2 Aug 2006 6:24PM
there meself next week .... camping ... in a tin tent that is

Dave
Slaterm 14 496 1 United Kingdom
2 Aug 2006 9:47PM
Mike - wild camping policy usually "take only photographs leave only footprints".

If you are looking for a spot try red tarns between Crinkle Craggs and Pike "o" Blisco - great place to wake up and views over Langdale Valley are great

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.