Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Can anyone advise an ISP provider....

tomcat 15 6.4k 15 United Kingdom
8 May 2011 7:41PM
....where if there is an issue, I can discuss it with a help line, without having to put up with someone reading off a pre prepared script.

We are with AOL for both ISP & telephone - quite like the deal since we set it up.

However since Friday evening we have been experiencing slow speed or disconnections + a crackling on the telephone. (Hence the reason for not keeping up with site activitiesSad )

I must have spoken to the helpline at least twenty times (including their level two), with no avail.
I have renewed filters, cables etc; etc; but nothing has changed, apart from one brief moment when the speed actually went up to over 5 Mg.(about our norm - not 1 Mg or 2)
They promise to do a line test (which I am sure could be the problem) & call back, but they don't.

The one I have not done yet, is to change the front bit of the incoming BT telephone socket.
I have taken it off and plugged the phone to it directly, so they could do a check. Don't think they did.

When I requested a MAC number this morning, not the slightest bit of interest was shown, in trying to persuade me not to leave(If I decide to)
That I found strange to say the least.

There are major underground utility replacements being carried out at the moment in our area.
Could a service strike be causing it, but I would have though that would have been simple to clarify.

Just sorted out connection issues with EPZ & then this occurs.

Any thoughts or advice would be gratefully appreciated

Cheers

Adrian
Andy_Cundell 10 1.1k 5 England
8 May 2011 7:54PM
I had a problem like this years ago. It took ages for BT to try and rectify the crackly line (they ended up digging my garden and replacing the line). The speeds were still slow and the crackling came back. Thats was the reason I ended up going fully with Blueyonder Cable (now Virgin) and I have crossed everything over to them, TV, phone, internet and even mobile phones.

To be honest, unless you get that line fixed, there is no point switching to another 'telephone line' carrier and unless you move everything over to Virgin, you wont get the best deals. For internet, you cant beat the blistering speed of cable with the price!

Have you reported the line to BT? There used to be an internet page on the BT site that tested your line and logged a defect. BT own the line upto and including the first box in your house. This box will have a small capacitor in it. Disconnect everything from the first box (if you have any extensions or runs) and try the line with one phone in. If it's still crackly ring them and tell them your leaving due to slow speeds but be warned, it's not that easy to leave AOL. They will blame BT and guess what, BT will blame them!

Hope this helps

Andy
8 May 2011 8:00PM
Know what you mean Andy.

Unfortunately we do not have access to cable - if we did , everything would be with them.
As far as I am aware, the line now belongs to AOL ???????????

Adrian
Andy_Cundell 10 1.1k 5 England
8 May 2011 8:03PM
Who do you pay line rental to, AOL or BT? BT don't usually sell their lines.

A quick call with the 'intension' to leave usually get the attension you require, but it sounds like (sorry about the pun) it's a problem with the line.

Good luck!

Andy

edited to change there to their!
8 May 2011 8:09PM
The line rental is with AOL, as part of the packageSad
Paul Morgan 20 19.5k 6 England
8 May 2011 8:23PM

Quote:There are major underground utility replacements being carried out at the moment in our area

Have BT already replaced there cables from the exchange to the green box thingy yet with fibre optic cables, it could be down to that.
8 May 2011 8:28PM
We have just had a mini power-cut at home. Only for a few seconds.

When everything rebooted, I ran two speed tests. Both showing over 4.5 Mg

The one that EPZ like,showed up as Manchester, which is the norm for here.
However over the weekend, it has been showing places like Sittingbourne etc; etc;

Have these b******s had a server down & won't say, in case you ask for a bill reduction?

Makes me wonder.

Thinking back, one of the helpline mentioned something about ongoing works and if it lasted for at least seven days, I could have a free week (this was on Friday evening)
All was denied by future calls

If they have had problems, then I am definitely migrating.
Honesty is the best solution - in my book anyway
8 May 2011 8:30PM
How are you carrying out your speed test, and have you checked in your router software for the speed that is reaching that.

If your using this to check your speed, choose the server closest to were you live.

http://www.speedtest.net/
8 May 2011 8:35PM

Quote:How are you carrying out your speed test, and have you checked in your router software for the speed that is reaching that.

Just checked the router Paul and it is about correct with the speed test results.

I use Speedtest.net & also internet-speedtest/net(this is the one that sends results to AOL)

Quote:
Have BT already replaced there cables from the exchange to the green box thingy yet with fibre optic cables, it could be down to that.

I wish - nothing in the pipe line yet (excuse the pun)Grin

Thanks for the input

POST COMMENT - Just ran both speed tests again - both around 4.6 & showing Manchester
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
8 May 2011 8:42PM

Quote:The line rental is with AOL, as part of the package

Forgive me Adrian but... the physical line is BT's property. AOL (America On Line) are your current provider using BT's 'hardware' via an agreement between the two Companies.

Frankly, and based on recent Which? reports, I would bin AOL on the basis of 'Breach of Contract' and go with another provider. (Personally..?? BT. They own the 'backbone' and they have started to really get their act together because of the competition from the cable providers)
8 May 2011 8:44PM

Quote:POST COMMENT - Just ran both speed tests again - both around 4.6 & showing Manchester

Do you live in Manchester ?

JUst checked mine, I first checked the speed that was getting to the router and I`m with talktalk.

speed-new.jpg

speed-new-2.jpg
8 May 2011 8:50PM
Even the crackling has gone from the phoneSmile

Reiterating earlier comments, I asked if there were issues & if there were, then I wasn't to bothered, as long as they were sorted.
To keep denying it, is really getting in my craw

Things do not just right themselves, without someone's input
8 May 2011 8:53PM
Fair play Paul

Do you live close to the exchange, or are you on F.O's

We live about a mile away from the exchange & poor old Kettering thinks F.O's are a new form of spirit dispenserWink

I do not expect more than 6 Mg from the current system & can easily live with 4+

I suppose they will upgrade one daySad
8 May 2011 8:56PM
I won't know for the next day or two, if the issue has been sorted, but I would like to express my thanks to you all for your input & advice

I am seriously thinking of reverting back to BT.
Only ever had them for phone
Had AOL for yonks, but >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
8 May 2011 8:56PM
I`m about a third of a mile from the exchange and on copper wire so can`t really complain and the wiring in my house must be fifty years old Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.