Can anyone help with a Japanese translation?

col.campbell 16 1.3k 4 United Kingdom
24 Sep 2019 12:16PM
Hi everyone, I'm looking for help translating a document written in Japanese, to English. Or, advice on pricing, should I approach a professional service to undertake the job.

If any Epz members can do it, so much the better. Name your price, starting from a bottle of nice wine/ bouqet of flowers, up to.. well, whatever your price is. I honestly don't know.

Background: I have no wish to offend, so I feel it's important to warn readers that this is a British-produced World War Two propaganda leaflet. I have explored several informal avenues to have it translated, and each time I have met with a brick wall, even after people have agreed to help. Their attitudes seemed to change once they'd seen it. I can only imagine it is.. let's say.. unflattering. It dates from shortly after the Japanese surrender so I imagine it was designed to tell Japanese troops in remote locations that the war was over, and to surrender themselves.

The reason it's in my possession, and why I want it translated, is that it belonged to my wife's father. He was captured at Singapore and put to work on the Thai-Burma railway. He wasn't an old man when he died; like so many he suffered poor health and drowned his sorrows. My wife was scarcely out of school when he died. The leaflet, and some maps, came to light when my mother-in-law passed away a couple of years ago. These are the only personal effects of her dad's my wife has ever had, so I would like to have it translated and frame it, possibly with the translation alongside.

If anyone out there thinks they can help, please send me a private message for a link to download images of it.

Many thanks.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Tianshi_angie 5 2.7k England
24 Sep 2019 12:41PM
Suggestion only! Try photographing it and then submit it to Google for translation.
24 Sep 2019 12:50PM
Thanks Angie - tried that, no joy. It was news to me that you could even do that - a younger work colleague told me, bemused that I didn't know, and wasn't sure I was understanding him in the first place!
24 Sep 2019 12:55PM
Oh sorry then - I was hoping it would do the trick. What about asking a University which teaches Japanese and a student might well be interested in helping out?
24 Sep 2019 1:04PM
I have approached an academic who seemed perfectly suited - he has passed it on to someone else, who has asked what the remuneration might be - fair enough, but I don't know what sort of offer is appropriate. I've plugged some estimated numbers into translation websites and had quotes of up to just under 800 - which is a complete non-starter!
saltireblue Plus
9 10.1k 40 Norway
24 Sep 2019 1:12PM
The police and courts have lists of official interpreters they use - perhaps it is possible to get a name if you ask? Not sure if they give out the names though...
Or does the public library have a list of local interpreters?
Just suggestions...
24 Sep 2019 2:41PM
Nowt in the library. I'll try the Yellow Pages (remember them?) and the police later. Thanks.
saltireblue Plus
9 10.1k 40 Norway
24 Sep 2019 2:45PM

Quote:Nowt in the library. I'll try the Yellow Pages (remember them?) and the police later. Thanks.

Yellow Pages are your saviour if you're looking for a copy of 'Fly Fishing' by J R Hartley...Wink
dark_lord Plus
15 2.4k 607 England
24 Sep 2019 2:48PM
If tere's animage online, a google search may match it.

How about the Imperial war Museum?
It's possible they may already have a translation, and if not thy may be interested.

Quote:Their attitudes seemed to change once they'd seen it

Perhaps it's still under the Official Cockup/Embarrassment Act, oh sorry, the Official Secrets Act Wink
24 Sep 2019 3:47PM
There is an option for a 'live chat' on the National Archives web site which may give you more information and may already have the document you want translated in the Archives.
Dave_Canon Plus
13 1.6k United Kingdom
24 Sep 2019 5:00PM
Surely Japanese schools for teaching locals Japanese or schools for teaching Japanese English ae fairly common. There is more than one in my town (Cheltenham) so big cities may have several. Of course they may not be prepared to translate for free.

Dave
Bridgelayer 12 659 United Kingdom
24 Sep 2019 5:16PM
Have a look at Kanji Moto
24 Sep 2019 5:45PM
Can't get Google to upload the photo I took of the front page, and can't get the Kanji Moto app to launch! I'm beginning to think I am/ we are/ this thing is, cursed!

National Archive is coming up blank although the IWM website has a record of it, or other editions of it, albeit no images and no further information *that I can see*. I'll keep digging..

Thanks everyone!
24 Sep 2019 5:53PM
I've tried the Google image search a coupe of times - seems to be freezing on 0% or 1% upload. Anyone else or is it just me?
24 Sep 2019 9:45PM
Oh and now MS Outlook is preventing me from sending any emails, saying that I have a daily sending limit; I haven't sent any. Am I under a targeted cyberattack?! Nothing is going right!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.