Nik Collection 2018 by DxO - FREE with selected X-Rite products!

Can anyone recommend a decent Fisheye Converter Lens - Nikon

Hi

I have recently started doing event/venue photography and am looking to get a decent fisheye converter for my AS-F Nikkor 50mm 1:1.4 G lens. I don't mind paying a decent price but need some help to find the right one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Ken

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
29 Jan 2018 5:21PM
Questions...

What are you going to use a converter for?

Why a converter which will probably degrade the IQ somewhat?

If you are simply trying to show more of the venue then perhaps an ultra wide or a rectilinear fish would be preferable, or stitching would work...
StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
29 Jan 2018 6:57PM
I bought one of those several years ago, used it once, and it's stashed away somewhere where it probably will never be found. Nikon has a great fisheye, the 10.5mm.
AlexandraSD 7 762 United Kingdom
29 Jan 2018 8:35PM
Samyang make some excellent glass now, their super wides are superb, i have an 8mm 2.8 lens, planning on buying a 12mm next, and i cannot find fault with them, aside from the fact their all manual focusing, but thats a trade off worth having at these prices, and they are very competitively priced too, Wex always has a handful for sale in their used section.
Hi guys. Thank you so much for the comments.

Phil you have it exactly right. I am looking to show more of a venue. I have recently become the photographer for The Smyths and I would like to show more of the venue with some "trendy" shots.

I need to lens to screw onto my 1.4 50mm lens so I can easily take it off and put it back on.

As you can see, I don't know where to start and would have got the wrong one Smile

Thanks
Ken
29 Jan 2018 10:46PM
As Alexandra said above, Samyang have them, and at a good price. The one I have came with adapters, so if you want to use it on a different lens, you can. They're available on ebay and Amazon. HTH
30 Jan 2018 11:42AM
StrayCat: Hi and thank you for your help. I phoned Wex on Alexandras' recommendation and they told me that they are not made anymore and they don't have any in stock. In fact they said that no WA adapters are made and tried to sell me a 400.00 lens.

Any links you could supply to Amazon would be very much appreciated.

Thank you
Ken
Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
30 Jan 2018 2:09PM
I have a feeling Alexandra is talking about prime lenses from Samyang, not a supplementary lens.

The supplementary lenses one sees are generally for fixed lens compacts/bridge cameras and more than likely will not be suitable for use on a 50mm, in fact I would be very surprised if you will be able to find one that is going to provide you with any quality.

If I have the right group the Smyths are a fairly high profile tribute band and I am sure they will be looking for a good quality result and I think you are going to have to look at spending a bit more rather than degrade your existing lens by adding extra glass to the front of it... Personally I would be looking at an Ultra Wide Angle or a Rectilinear Fish Eye (Gives the very wide view but with a less distorted perspective). I can understand your desire for a different perspective on things but I feel that the supplementary lens route is not the way to go...
Hi Phil

Thank you so much for your advice and comments. I fully understand what you are saying and agree totally. I was hoping that there might have been a cheap route but like everything in photography.... I'm learning there is no cheap route if you want to maintain quality.

Looks like they will have to do without any wide angle shots till Spring Smile

Thanks again guys
Ken
Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
30 Jan 2018 2:29PM

Quote: but like everything in photography.... I'm learning there is no cheap route if you want to maintain quality.

Sadly yes... But... Just an idea for you and will certainly give a very different result and not very expensive either so probably worth having a play...

https://lensball.co.uk/collections/all

Phil
30 Jan 2018 8:55PM
Here's one to look at, available for most brands of cameras.

Looks like this one is used by itself.

Also, if you want the Samyang, look on ebay. I found my fisheye lens, and it is a Precision Design, which attaches via adapter to almost any lens. I got mine on ebay.
30 Jan 2018 9:20PM
Just before Christmas I bought a set of 3 lenses that attach to almost any smartphone, and they even work on an ipad with outstanding results, for $25 on Amazon; there's a fisheye, which is amazing, a super wide-angle, also excellent, and a macro. They were recommended by jackalltog on here. My Granddaughter is great with her iphone camera, very creative, so I gave them to her for Christmas. Might be worth a try for seeing what you could get with the fisheye. Here's a link to Amazon Canada, but you can get the info.
One again guys, thank you so much for all your help and advise. Much more than I expected. Outstanding.

Best wishes
Ken

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.