Get 50% Off Affinity Photo Today!

Can anyone recommend a filter for a Canon 24-70mm f2.8 usm

User_Removed 13 1.5k 1
11 Mar 2007 12:08PM
peter

I have went for the 24-70 due to it being f2.8. I will problably get 17-40 as i take alot of photos at that range. Perhaps you could advise me on a portrait lens. I want one that I can take head only and full length shots with and still get background out of focus. I wont have a lot of money left so was thinking about 50mm 1.8 II 70 or 50mm 1.4 220. will they be appropriate?

james
ruralscotland 16 1.3k
11 Mar 2007 12:12PM
24-105mm IS USM L?
strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
11 Mar 2007 12:13PM
Yup I would have said the same. James why spend the money before you know whay you need?

Get some practice and expereince before you splash the money out.

Fewer tears that way.
User_Removed 13 1.5k 1
11 Mar 2007 12:54PM
strawman

i want to become a wedding photographer and am trying to get a job as an assistant. Problably got more chance if i can tell them i have the right lenses. That way they know i am serious. Lenses cant go wrong as I enjoy photography as a hobby.

james
peterjones 18 5.1k 1 United Kingdom
11 Mar 2007 1:40PM
A 50mm will make a back up lens for your 24/70 and at a pinch will be acceptable for your portraits; purists will recommend a 85mm f/1.8.

A 50mm used close in close up may slightly distort facial features but you can get away with it by standing back say for a half length shot and then crop.

If you are on a limited budget then get the 50mm f/1.8; once you start on weddings yourself you will need a back up body as sure as eggs are eggs if equipment fails Sodd's law dictates it will happen at a wedding!
User_Removed 13 1.5k 1
11 Mar 2007 2:08PM
Peter

So if I use a 1.8mm at half length and crop to just take in head will I get a far more out of focus background than if I was to use 50mm-70mm on my f2.8? Also with regards to the filters I asked about could you please tell me who supplies them. Been searching websites but cant find supplier. kind regards

james
JonR 13 26
11 Mar 2007 2:31PM
WE = Warehouse Express
11 Mar 2007 3:10PM
Jon is correct re WE.

If you want a totally OOF background or "excellent bokeh" use your lens at the widest aperture you can; you will get an acceptable blur at f.2.8 on your 24/70 at 70mm, you will get a better "bokeh" at f/1.8 on your 50mm or even better on an 85mm. To answer your question if you were to use your 50mm at f/1.8 and crop you will get a more oof background than had you used your 24/70 at 70mm.

However at a wedding you won't have time for such considerations; you shoot with what is on your camera which may be the 24/70; if you start thinking too much that marvellous expression or fleeting magical light will have long gone. Experience will teach you what lens to have on your camera before a situation takes place.

Strawman is absolutely right; wedding photography is such a massive subject though we will try and help we can only touch on aspects of it here; seek out some courses e.g. the SWPP's "Mentor Me" course; I know of one epziner who has bought "Contemporary Wedding Photography" by Julie Oswin and Steve Walton and on his recommendation I bought one from Amazon at 16ish; it is a very good intro to wedding photography. I also like Stephen Swain's book "Capture the Moment"

Also Julie Oswin and Steve Walton run excellent two day courses on wedding photography; again I know of one epziner who has booked a course.

Rgds. Peter
User_Removed 13 1.5k 1
11 Mar 2007 4:46PM
I have already got julie oswins contemporary photography book amongst others. I am a member of the readers union book club and have around 6 wedding books all of which I enjoy reading. How big a difference is there between the 1.4 50mm and the 1.8 50ml prime?

james
11 Mar 2007 7:40PM
one stop and it is said that there is a difference in optical quality, whether you will ever notice is debatable; the 1.4 is better built however if you can find a 1.8 Mk1 the build quality is much better than the current 1.8
User_Removed 13 1.5k 1
11 Mar 2007 7:57PM
peter

just realised that the 85mm 1.8 is only 260 i thought it was about 900 for some reason. If you think that will be more useful i will order one. what type of shots do you use it for?

james
11 Mar 2007 8:07PM
The 85mm f/1.2 commands stratospheric prices :-/

I use the 85mm f/1.8 in Church shots, for head & shoulder shots but mostly for reportage (e.g. the line up), in fact anywhere I think my 17/40 won't be tight enough.

Another use is low light pictures where you then have the option of opening the lens wide open instead of using flash provided the quality of the light is good enough.
PV 13 23
12 Mar 2007 2:40PM
Do not use a filter.
rossd 17 1.1k England
16 Mar 2007 2:34PM
Back to the subject of filters - as has been said before no specific filter will 'do the lens justice'and in fact a filter can prove to detrimental. However, I have used a 'soft' focus filter for shots of the bride/bride and groom as it does tend to give a soft, romantic feel (I know it can be done digitally but I have never managed to achieve the same effect).

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.