Can Anyone RECOMMEND A Wedding Photographer?

Attention!

This topic is locked.

Reason : Original Question Answered - Thanks

UserDeleted 17 3.6k
18 Jan 2006 6:50AM

Quote:I'd say the MPA is a good bet, the SWPP (much to my chagrin although they are trying to clean up their act) allow any weekend warrior in.

I'm not responding directly at you Joe - just refining the point Smile

There are probably some MPA photographers that wouldn't pass muster depending on the style of the photography required.

As an SWPP member, through choice, it is worth defending many of the photographers notably Peter Prior, Damien Lovegrove, Andrea Barrett, Gordon McGowen, Stuart Bebb - all of whom spoke at the recent convention - but also many other really talented photographers.

As Debbie says check the individuals out - membership of any organisation is not a guarantee.....plenty of great photographers don't appear in any organisation...

Mike

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

UserDeleted 17 3.6k
18 Jan 2006 6:57AM
Dean,

Quote:'ve been interested in photography for about 6 years now, and been a keen hobbyist. Recently starting a move to pro and trying to release the chains of engineering (my main income).

This is in your bio - given that I can see why Joe made his comment - although I don't think your overly defensive response does you any good.

I also believe that James was looking for RECOMMENDATION (see the title) not self-promotion. He is a regular on the site, and I'm sure knows of the wedding photographers well enough to contact them directly - he is looking for other (non-Epz) recommendations.

Mike.
EnigmaPhoto 15 487 United Kingdom
18 Jan 2006 7:09AM
That's fair enough, but I've been so busy for such a long time I don't get a lot of time to sit down and update bio's and even my website. In fact my visit to this site is only for a few hours a week.

That aside, I think Joe has many times attacked young and aspiring wedding photographers. I just think it's a bit unnecessary, and there are more tactful ways to do it, and terms like 'weekend warrior', etc. just don't go down well.

I completely agree that someone who suddenly got a 350D for a birthday present shouldn't immediately become a wedding photographer. I've done it the hard way, by taking courses, and by assisting (unpaid) for a long time before going alone.

Anyway, I'll drop it, as it's completely off topic.

As per recommendations, my main business is in London, so I cannot really recommend anyone.

Maybe James should try one of Joe's other regular recommendations and Google it, which he has surprisingly not done this time.
Mark_Readman 15 922
18 Jan 2006 7:13AM
some of the "pro bodies" are jealously guarded clubs,who refuse membership to anyone who may oust a member from his perch always best to have a browse through the phone directory as well, and see what they can do with examples
UserDeleted 17 3.6k
18 Jan 2006 7:29AM
Mark,

I'd love to hear your specific examples on this as I don't know of any professional bodies that do this.

Require you to be a full-time professional - YES
Require you to be of a certain standard - YES
Require you to abide by the associations principals - YES

But prevent you joining because you might be better than anyone else ?

Mike.
UserRemoved 16 4.2k
18 Jan 2006 8:39AM
Ohhh touchy touchy..

Hit a raw nerve have I?

Sorry tact and diplomacy go out the window when dealing with someones important day, particularly someone I have corresponded with. Like I said above, I've just finished tidying up someone elses mess who thought they could handle it. If you want to read the comments as pertaining to you then that says more about you than me. I dont know your situation but having just read your bio as Mike pointed out then it would appear they _may_ and I stress _may_ apply to you.

I'm not going to defend my use of the forum here, but if you take the blinkers off you will see I am very supportive of those I think are taking it seriously and I (amongst others) rip the piss out of people who arent. Its the internet, what else is there to do.
As I and others have said there are plenty of times for tact and diplomacy but again I didnt deem this one of them (so shoot me!)

I agree with Mikes comments about the SWPP and I do recognise that there are some excellent photographers in there and I do attend SWPP meetings and seminars as an unpaid member. I do know a fair few MPA members and to be honest my view is probably slanted as most of the MPA members I know personally are certainly at the top of their game.

On another topic, where have you had the problems Mark, I know its difficult getting into the NUJ as you have to be full time and earning the majority of your income from press related work. Only a few other specific organisations that I know of (MPA? BIPP certainly) stipulate that you have to be full time to join, the SWPP being the exception (again that I know of)

To cover the original point, I've already given James my recommendations online a while ago.
Mark_Readman 15 922
18 Jan 2006 8:58AM
It has to be said, this is the last place on earth to tout for work or anybody to do some for you, in fact I would go as far to say it should be BANNED on this forum, it causes fights, sulks, fall outs, fire fights and flame up's no end as people scrabble to be seen as the best at giving the best advice, it's like a school playground !
sugar jones 15 185
18 Jan 2006 9:31AM
I know a good York based photographer try Stephen Drury
www.druryphoto.com

SugarJ*
UserRemoved 16 4.2k
18 Jan 2006 10:36AM
Actually Dean, can I just point out that the contents of my web site (including the text) is copyrighted to myself.

The next time you just want to cut and paste from somewhere, do it on someone elses site!
skeletor 16 1.7k England
18 Jan 2006 10:59AM
I'm gonna get teacher.
User_Removed 16 3.3k Russian Federation
18 Jan 2006 11:00AM
Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment and offer suggestions.
UserRemoved 16 4.2k
18 Jan 2006 11:01AM
Well you would think that someone setting up a site as a professional photographer would know about copyright.

Still I know someone who knows an awful lot more about copyright than me Wink