Save 10% On Pictar Home Studio Pro Photography Kits With Code: EPHOTOZINE10

Can anyone translate ?

bmh1 14 572 1 United Kingdom
16 Jun 2012 10:18AM
Having done a quick google image search, it's turned up quite a few copies of one of my images ( here in my p/f), which seems to turn up in quite a few blogs ..

However this one tavaloddto.jpg
has what looks like persian? text added, and I'm curious to know what they might mean ...

Can anyone shed any light ?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown 11 8.2k 252 England
16 Jun 2012 10:22AM
It says "I've nicked your picture."
ourdayphotos 8 229 Scotland
16 Jun 2012 10:29AM
Don't know but it's a nice pic, it's bugging me more & more seeing how many people get their photos stolen. It's not happened to me yet that I know of but I'm not sure what I'd do about it.
User_Removed 10 4.6k 1 Scotland
16 Jun 2012 11:09AM
It is a nice photograph - and at least the blogger/blagger seems to have treated it tastefully. I'd be quite proud to have any of my photos used that way.

Quote:It's not happened to me yet that I know of but I'm not sure what I'd do about it.

If you do a Google Image test, you might well find that you have had a few copied. I found one of my images from a Flickr page had been used by 14 different sites (that Google found) including an official Tourist site for a West Indies island. I was quite proud of that.

Pragmatically, if we are daft enough to display out photographs on the internet, then they are going to get used without our permission if they are worth using. There is nothing that can realistically be done. Taking any sort of legal action would cost hugely more than we might be awarded. Watermarks are a waste of time as any blagger worth his salt can remove them in Photoshop. Basically the only safeguard against serious misuse is to post only small, low-res images that cannot be used for any more serious purpose than a webpage illustration.

It's one of those things that we just have to be philosophical about and look on the bright side.

As an aside, just look at that wee girl from Lochgilphead whose school meals photos were splattered over every form of the media yesterday. Her campaign (and her charity's good fortune) was aided massively by her images being copied by every Tom, **** and Harriet around.

sherlob Plus
14 3.1k 129 United Kingdom
16 Jun 2012 12:22PM

Quote:If you do a Google Image test

How do you do this LF?
16 Jun 2012 12:41PM

Quote:How do you do this LF?

I'd wondered that too.
16 Jun 2012 12:49PM
Well, while I'm not entirely happy for my picture to be copied, if it's just on a personal blog etc. it's not really a big problem,
and in most cases people seem to have used the picture to accompany some drippy poetry Smile

Quote:... and at least the blogger/blagger seems to have treated it tastefully ...
it looks like it, but that's what made me curious about what the added text might say ...

I did find someone selling note-cards with the image on it, so I sent them a couple of e-mails which they ignored, so I then sent a DMCA notice to their ISP and the ISP (godaddy) shut down their entire site Smile

If you're image searching, tineye does a good precise search, and google 's search seems a bit less precise (look at what it considers similar!), but does seem to cover more sites [click on the camera symbol on the image search page, and put in the URL of your photo].
Focus_Man 10 481 631 United Kingdom
16 Jun 2012 1:44PM
You could always load to a web site or Flickr using a .gif file. I doubt they would be as much use as a normal .jpeg, .bmp or .tiff file. but I am not sure.
16 Jun 2012 2:01PM

Quote:You could always load to a web site or Flickr using a .gif file.

You simply convert it to one of the others.
16 Jun 2012 5:42PM

Quote:How do you do this LF?
I'd wondered that too.

Basically you are doing a Google image search using one of your own images as the search item. Here's what Google say:

Search by Image

Discover all sorts of content that's related to a specific image. Just specify an image, and you'll find other similar or related images as well as relevant results from across the Web.

For example, search using a picture of your favorite band and see search results that might include similar images, webpages about the band, and even sites that include the same picture.
How to search

There are a few ways to search by image:

Visit images.google.com, or any Images results page, and click the camera icon camera icon in the search box. Enter an image URL for an image hosted on the web or upload an image from your computer.

How to enter an image URL

How to upload an image

Download a browser extension for Google Chrome or Firefox to search by any image on the web, simply by right-clicking on the image.

Tip: After downloading your desired browser extension, you can change the extension setting so that the camera icon appears when you hover over an image. Then you will be able to simply click on the camera icon and search by the image.

Search by Image is optimized to work well for content that is reasonably well described on the web. For this reason, you’ll likely get more relevant results for famous landmarks or paintings than you will for more personal images like your toddler’s latest finger painting.
How it works

Google uses computer vision techniques to match your image to other images in the Google Images index and additional image collections. From those matches, we try to generate an accurate "best guess" text description of your image, as well as find other images that have the same content as your search image. Your search results page can show results for that text description as well as related images.
Compatible browsers

Search by Image is compatible with the following browsers:

Chrome
Firefox 3.0+
Internet Explorer 8+
Safari 5.0+
16 Jun 2012 8:27PM
Thanks LF.
That worked. I selected one from my website and Chrome told me that the same image was on here. Which it is.
16 Jun 2012 10:22PM
Another look at the search results turned up another version with writing added:
f1.jpg

I'm still curious as to what they felt they needed to add to the image ..
16 Jun 2012 11:55PM
This time it says; "I've nicked it again but this time I've cropped it."
17 Jun 2012 9:59AM
There wouldn't be much point nicking it if they were not going to use it for something.

Presumably the script would reveal what they are using it for, if only we could translate it.

I hope that it is something that would make you very proud that they had chosen your photograph - it is a great image.
22 Jun 2012 1:53PM
Sometime google searching shows up different results, another search found this version with a lot of writing added:

udasi.jpg

As it is ascii characters, I typed a few lines into google translate, though it guessed at "Finnish" and couldn't translate it, so I still have no idea what this one means either, is it a song, a poem, a shopping list, an advert for a flower shop or a recipe for strawberry jam ??

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.