Your chance to win a Nikon Z 50 Camera Kit!

Can I change aspect ratios of video footage?

Dabber 18 235 England
29 Jun 2020 11:58AM
I have quite a few VHS tapes of my family and various recording taken in and around my hometown from about 1980. Iím slowly getting these converted to digital, but in the main they are 4:3 aspect ratio. Since tellys now are generally 16:9 I would like to get the old stuff to 16:9.
Iím assuming itís possible since a lot of old broadcast programs were 4:3, the likes of Dadís Army and Last of the Summer Wine to name a couple. Now depending who broadcasts them now, they either appear 4:3 with black bands down the edges, or fill the 16:9 with no signs of stretching or cropping.
Has anyone got any knowledge of this, and can it be done with an app or plug in to Adobe Premiere Elements?
Hopefully there may be someone on this site who is familiar with this topic and can point me in the right direction, thanks for looking.
Dabber

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

shagnasty 13 52
29 Jun 2020 12:35PM
Anything digital is possible, but it does come at a cost....in terms of quality. Squashed pixels might be ok in some situations but when people are there.....not so good.
Have a look at this guy on YouTbe. Might help you decide which way to go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5avl8aSvf4

Hope this helps
Pat
Bridgelayer 13 705 United Kingdom
1 Jul 2020 10:17AM
You can definitely do it on Proshow Gold and output to video. Just zoom in on the clip and Robert is your mother's brother.

Main snag is Proshow have gone but they have another prog that is called Photopia which is subscription and not cheap.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.