Regatta Offer: Save 15% on 'Top Picks' With Code TP15

Can someone recommend a budget camera please?

Emmaelle 15 12
16 May 2006 8:46AM
Hello everyone!!
I have got a Pentax optio 430, I bought it from ebay (ok, ok! I'm on a tight budget!)
Anyway, at first i thought it was great, but now Im used to it, the image quality isnt great - some are, but most not!
I want a smallish camera, not very complicated (Im a techniphobe!) that takes good pictures, I know its asking alot, but my freind has a 'all singing all dancing' Nikon that has quite a large resolution, and the pictures are rubbish!
I would have gone for a Nikon, in fact, Id love one, but this has put me off, and Im not sure what to choose - everyones opinions welcome, and thanks in advance!
Also, feel free to warn me to stay away from certain makes too! :o)
16 May 2006 10:08AM
have a look at sony cybershot range or coolpix
nikon5700ite 17 1.8k
16 May 2006 11:15AM
Before you buy another camera I suggest you look to how you are taking your shots. A simple test, to prove that I may be casting aspertions on youSmile, is to place the camera on a firm support and use the 10 second delay to take a shot [you press the trigger and stop touching the camera]. If this shot is good and what you are after it could well be your technique of taking shots which is causing you dissapointment. I hope that you are always waiting for the camera to give you the "AOK I'm ready" signal when you take 'half-trigger' before fully pressing very gently the trigger to 'full down' ... camera shake with light digital cameras is a common cause of dissapointment. My wife has a 'walking stick', something like a ski-pole, on which she rests her camera.

You camera was brought out in 2002 so is quite 'old' in digital terms. I suggest you go to www.dpreview.com and check out cameras in your budget and try and find those with features that you like to use. Personally I would also look at the Panasonic cameras in your budget/feature range.
midgemckay 15 46
16 May 2006 11:24AM

Quote:a large resolution, and the pictures are rubbish!

So true - go for quality before high pixels, that's for sure.

Not really sure what to recommend, I got my camera in a sale in Currys which put it half price. Look around and you could get a good deal. The post above is excellent advice.
cattyal Plus
16 9.2k 6 England
16 May 2006 12:53PM
I don't know what your definition of smallish or budget is but I can't recommend the Fuji S7000 highly enough. I have had a look at your portfolio and notice that you like doing close up flowers amongst your other shots and have found it an excellent all round camera. I certainly would never part with mine and use it regularly alongside my newer Fuji S9500.

I recommend you check out the classifieds here as well when you decide on what you want - I bought my S7000 via this site and was delighted with it.

Alison
Jasbe 16 116 England
16 May 2006 10:51PM
Hi,

I'd recommend buying a few camera mags for the top 10 lists etc, like what digital camera etc, then when you've narrowed it down go to dixons or jessops and have a play till you find one you like.

Cheers,
Jason
Emmaelle 15 12
17 May 2006 9:34AM
Thankyou! Will take all of your advice on board, and will try my test! I must admit, i didnt realise mine was that old!! Thanks again! Emma x
8 Jun 2006 12:30PM
remember its not wot you use its how you use it.
you can get good shots on camera phones if you think about wot you are doing. alot of people see the picture in their head and think the camera see's it the same, but it dont.
you have to see wot the camera see's and deside if its a good picture.
Jo75 15 16
9 Jun 2006 3:53AM
i highly recomment the casio exilim z600. i bought one from jessops and its really easy to use, which is good for a beginner like me! it's got a function called "best shot" on it which is loads of settings already set up to help you take the perfect picture! for example, "scenery" or "portraight with scenery in background" or "night scene". it has an example of the sort of photo you could take with that setting - idiot proof!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.