Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Can't find an answer?

Goatsmilkuk 16 783
1 Mar 2006 1:18AM
Here is a good reply.

Quote:On Wednesday, March 01, 2006 you asked the following question;

What is the write speed of a Canon 300D using RAW files, and large jpeg's?

The following answer has just been sent to you;

sorry that took so long. One piece of bad news performance-wise is the write speed to CompactFlash of the Digital Rebel. To put it bluntly, this camera writes slower than any Nikon DSLR I've ever tested save the original D1, which was widely criticized for its slowness. Coupled with the 4 frame buffer and the fact that image review functions don't function until the buffer is completely emptied to the card, this has a serious impact on those that shoot raw files with the Digital Rebel. On the fastest card I have available, it took 18 seconds before a full buffer of raw files flushed and the color LCD stopped displaying the Busy message. You'll want the fastest card you can find if you shoot raw files, and even JPEG users might want to consider that, too. It's not even a close contest with a D70. Use a state-of-the-art card in the D70 and you'll rattle off JPEGs continuously until the card fills. Meanwhile, your Digital Rebel will have fallen way behind as it stutters through filling and emptying the buffer.

KatieR 17 6.2k 6
1 Mar 2006 1:22AM
That was Ken Rockwell, I bet ya.
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
1 Mar 2006 1:26AM
Shame its wrong in actual advice, though in some aspects correct. With the 300D the processor sets the speed of writing to the cards, and after a point the card speed becomes relativley insignificant. I found my 40x card faster than an 8x card, but some 80x ones I receive are no faster than the 40x ones. So I would say there is no point in buying the fastest card for a 300D.

Nice to know photography is a speed thing. I wonder how that poster ever managed to cope with a manual camera and winding film onSmile
sillyconguru 16 4.4k
1 Mar 2006 1:30AM

Quote:I wonder how that poster ever managed to cope with a manual camera and winding film on

They probably bolted a hulking great motordrive to the camera, and changed film after 10 seconds of shooting :-0
Goatsmilkuk 16 783
1 Mar 2006 2:22AM

Quote:Nice to know photography is a speed thing. I wonder how that poster ever managed to cope with a manual camera and winding film onSmile

Film? Whats that then, is it something on a DVD you get from Blockbuster?
1 Mar 2006 2:26AM
Good points, I wonder if they were used to record the intro for "Girls on Film"

not that I own that album,

or any of their singles

of course,

my wife does.

It cracks the kids up, you know big black CD's

Smile
1 Mar 2006 2:28AM
[/i]Her name is Rio and she dances on the sand [/i]

Well thats muckedthe rest of my day up :0)

I've got Duran Duran songs running round my head.
Just Jas Plus
19 26.3k 1 England
1 Mar 2006 2:29AM

Quote:more likely that you would find potatoes

Quote:but I imagine quality control takes care of these things."

Never ever found any raw potato in the product, but found quite a few chips! Smile)

jas
Base 16 172
1 Mar 2006 3:49AM
Possibly one of the greatest websites ever...! Wink
mongogushi 15 50
1 Mar 2006 4:37AM
i agree. for now anyway

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.