Save 50% on Affinity software including Affinity Photo and Publisher! Use Code: AFFINITY-EPZ22

Can you recommend any Photoshop teaching books?

murasame 18 96
21 Jun 2004 9:08PM
Hi everone!

What do you think about books on Photoshop which explain all the basic or advanced techniques and give tips on how to use it?
All I know about Photoshop is basically self taught with trial and error or I know some tips from this website, etc. but I still feel like I don't know much about the very basic stuff of working with a program like that.

Can you recommend any books or can I read it all up on the Internet somewhere? What do you think?
How did YOU learn to make the best out of Photoshop?
Boyd 18 11.2k 11 Wales
21 Jun 2004 9:29PM
Personally I learnt a lot through trial and error and through the plethora of sites dedicated to Photoshop on the net. However, a book can also be a great way to learn.
Pete Bargh (the multi-millionaire playboy editor of ePHOTOzine) wrote this one which gets good reviews.

Boyd.
Pete 21 18.8k 97 England
21 Jun 2004 9:33PM
Thanks for the plug Boyd Smile... Also check out our book reviews section - link under learn menu on left - we have loads of Photoshop books reviewed by ePHOTOzine.
deviant 18 3.1k 1 United Kingdom
21 Jun 2004 10:08PM
The Photoshop book i'd recommend is Adobe Photoshop for Photographers by Martin Evening. It's clear detailed and the tutorials are very very clear indeed.
Toymaker 19 587 1
22 Jun 2004 6:43AM
I have a copy of "Photoshop 7 Down and Dirty Tricks" by Scott Kelby. It's a very informative book written with a lot of humour by a nice sounding guy.

Essentially Scott takes the lid off of the way that the pros produce their adverts and effects. There are lots of screen dumps and it's written in a easy-to-follow way to enable you to produce similar effects.

Even if you don't try out any of the effects and techniques, it's still a damn good read. He writes in a very informative and humorous way.
tim franklin 18 2.7k
22 Jun 2004 7:56AM
I'd also recommend "Real World Photoshop CS" by David Blatner & Bruce Fraser. Somewhat easier going than Evening which although a fine work can be a tad dull.
murasame 18 96
22 Jun 2004 8:20AM
Thanks a lot for the tips. I'll check the 'books reviews' section now (must have been blind...).

Do they write about basic stuff like colors or what to be aware of when choosing e.g. CMYK or RGB, info about 8 bit 16 bit etc. too? I feel that especially when it comes to all this "theoretical" basic stuff I don't know much at all.
rugbylass 19 403
22 Jun 2004 9:28AM
In which case the "Classroom in a Book" might be better for you. It covers all of the basics rather than teaching you how to do the cool stuff.
murasame 18 96
22 Jun 2004 11:24AM
So, is there a book who teaches the basics AND how to do the cool stuff?
What about the Photoshop CS for Photographers book, does it cover some of the basics?
rogleale 19 142 United Kingdom
22 Jun 2004 6:32PM
Hi Murasame,
I can thoroughly recommend Deke McClelleand's book
Adobe Photoshop One-on-One. It covers all of the essential aspects in some detail, and has two hours of video instruction.
Roger
murasame 18 96
24 Jun 2004 7:56AM
Thanks rogleale.
I cannot decide whether to take the "Photoshop for Photographers" one (as this is what I use Photoshop for) or the McClelleand one.
In the end I'll probably get both, so... haha.
thanks!
mattmatic 18 598
24 Jun 2004 9:23AM
I've learned heaps from Katrin Eismann's "Restoration and Retouching for Photoshop". Some seriously useful insights into Photoshop, but you need a reasonable working knowledge first. Her website has a few excerpts and other tips: www.digitalretouch.org

Russell Brown's book is also very helpful. There's not too much in it, to be honest, but it's worth a look-see. His website (www.russellbrown.com) has some really good tips.

Matt
llonaid 18 2
24 Jun 2004 8:04PM
A free alternative to an otherwise expensive book can be found on line. Try www.davrodigital.co.uk/tutorials/howtoo.htm
This was my first insight into Photoshop and I found it very helpful. In fact I still use it occasionally.
Dave.
Pete 21 18.8k 97 England
24 Jun 2004 9:44PM
and don't forget loads of techniques here!
murasame 18 96
25 Jun 2004 12:16PM
Yeah right, the techniques here are awesome. Thanks again.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.