Enter the ePHOTOzine Christmas Prize Draw extravaganza!

Can you sleep at night?

StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
8 Feb 2018 9:21PM
The joys of retirement.Grin

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

col.campbell 16 1.3k 4 United Kingdom
9 Feb 2018 1:00AM
I have an insatiable appetite for sleep!
9 Feb 2018 7:21AM
I havent had a full 8 hours since I had my first child, nearly 22 years ago. Some nights are worse than others, but if I dont get to bed by 10 I will often get migraine. Usually wake up between 2 and 4 am but cant get up at that time or I just feel groggy and sleepy, so its just a case of tossing and turning until 6.
altitude50 15 16.5k United Kingdom
9 Feb 2018 8:02AM
Since retiring I have had few problems with sleep. I get 6 to 7 hours every night. But sometimes I wake up at about 4 with an idea or concern and cannot get back to sleep. But.
I am trying to eat more sensibly and stop the evening snacking and have lost 5 lbs weight in the last week.
I used to eat mild cheese late on and it made me dream all sorts of fantastic dreams, mature cheese more so and blue cheese gave me nightmares.Sad
saltireblue Plus
9 9.9k 38 Norway
9 Feb 2018 10:11AM
I can't remember the last time I slept through the night.
I invariably wake up between 02 - 0230ish having slept well for 3 hours or so. After that, I seem to dream non-stop, although have the distinct feeling that I am always floating just under the surface - not deep REM sleep - and wake up often, wondering if I have actually been asleep and dreaming, or if I was merely lying there with an active brain that won't turn off.
Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
9 Feb 2018 12:33PM

Quote:Since retiring I have had few problems with sleep. I get 6 to 7 hours every night. But sometimes I wake up at about 4 with an idea or concern and cannot get back to sleep. But.
I am trying to eat more sensibly and stop the evening snacking and have lost 5 lbs weight in the last week.
I used to eat mild cheese late on and it made me dream all sorts of fantastic dreams, mature cheese more so and blue cheese gave me nightmares.Sad

If your trying to loose weight its snacking in the morning with breakfast that is the killer, spikes the insulin making harder to loose and burn that extra weight.

I spent a good few years trying different diets, nothing seemed to work, I then tried the warrior diet and dropped about 1/3 of my total body weight in a period of about 8 to 10 weeks, the best part was that it is not really a diet, your not restricting calories and your not starving yourself, I consume all my days calories a few hours before sleeping Smile

Believe it or not extra sleep helps as well Smile

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01lxyzc
brian1208 16 11.6k 12 United Kingdom
9 Feb 2018 3:05PM
It varies, some nights 8 hours is no problem, others I wake a 04.00 and may spend a couple of hours editing pics before returning to bed.

The real killer is those nights of "alternate insomnia" , I go to sleep then at 02.00 my wife wakes up and asks if I fancy a coffee, after which we go back to sleep, then at 04.00 I wake her up and ask the same and so on

Thank goodness I am retired and have rediscovered the ability to have a quick nap at a moment's notice - I can now face the day (whenever my eyes are open!)
ckristoff 15 994 Wales
9 Feb 2018 6:35PM
I've recently been diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea!

The doctor sent me home with a CPAP machine, with a face mask, which I use during the night. When I was first tested in November, I had another machine for 1 night.

Last week I saw the doctor who loaned me the machine. I was having 25 episodes of sleep apnea per hour through the night. The CPAP machine was given to me for 2 nights, and I returned to the doctor, the day after that. She checked the SD card, and my episodes had dropped to 4.5 per hour! I've had the machine in use for 7 nights now, and my episodes have reduced to 2.6 per hour or a similar number!

It's also helping me with my heart disease; I haven't had an angina attack for about 10 days now. Apparently it will also help my diabetes, with reduce glucose blood levels. I won't know about this for about 4 months, at my next check up. Will it also help me recover from my cancer treatment? I don't know, but it's a magical machine so far!

Frank.
9 Feb 2018 7:23PM
Good luck Frank. They sent me for tests for sleep apnea several years ago, and when I called and asked the cost of the machines, I decided not to go. I sleep ok now, it was all related to withdrawal from a medication I was on for 10 years; I'll soon be a normal human being again.Smile
9 Feb 2018 7:30PM
Years ago, in my job, we sometimes worked very weird and long hours, and many of us found it hard to sleep before a 3:00am start, etc., and would call in and say We couldn't sleep. I'm sure it was pressure from the airlines that prompted the Ministry of Transport to change the regulation from : must have 8 hours rest, to must have 8 hours prone before work.
FabioKeiner 6 111 Austria
10 Feb 2018 11:08AM
the devil never sleeps Smile
ckristoff 15 994 Wales
11 Feb 2018 6:58PM
Thank you StrayCat,

I do have sleep apnea, therefore I need the CPAP machine, on loan from hospital. Apparently they cost 700!

Frank.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.