Canadian people

20 Sep 2014 12:46AM
Are you from Canada? I have just returned from three weeks travelling through Vancouver, Victoria, Revelstoke, Banff, lake Louise, Jasper and Edmonton and can honestly say I have never met so many kind, helpful and cheerful people. Besides being in a beautiful country it was the Canadian people who made my holiday so special. From bus drivers to shop assistants people were so thoughtful and helpful. A fabulous country with fabulous people. 😊

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
20 Sep 2014 2:53AM
I think so also.Grin
DaveRyder Plus
5 3.2k 1 United Kingdom
20 Sep 2014 7:47AM
Have always enjoyed our trips to Canada. Ontario and Ottawa are sadly the only areas visited... Must see more.
Andysnapper 11 109 25 England
20 Sep 2014 9:56AM
We spent 3 weeks in BC last year and felt the same. Everyone was friendly and helpful. The only problem was sooo many beggars especially in Victoria and Vancouver but even they were polite and friendly.

Andy
seahawk 12 1.3k United Kingdom
20 Sep 2014 10:30AM
Never been there but now that t'other 'alf has retired we plan to go. Rather fancy the trip across to Vancouver on the train then down to Seattle to watch the Seahawks play, down to Frisco then back across USA.
Has anyone done that trip (not necessarily including the Seahawks) and got any observations or recommendations?
Paul Morgan 18 19.3k 6 England
21 Sep 2014 12:49AM
Has anyone done that trip (not necessarily including the Seahawks) and got any observations or recommendations?

My mother did that trip about 10 years ago, the first week or so on the train across to Vancouver followed by another week or so on a cruise out of Vancouver.

There are a fair few stop offs if you take the train.
21 Sep 2014 4:06AM

Quote:We spent 3 weeks in BC last year and felt the same. Everyone was friendly and helpful. The only problem was sooo many beggars especially in Victoria and Vancouver but even they were polite and friendly.

I remember reading an article on the front page of the Vancouver Sun one time, the reporter started off by saying; "The worst thing about living in Vancouver is that everybody wants to visit you." That sums it up for me.Tongue

Andy, the homeless are drawn to Vancouver and Victoria because the winters are so mild. We used to stay at the main hotel down on the waterfront, and it was a little uncomfortable walking a gap of about 200 meters with no lights or buildings to get to the commercial area, they used to congregate there because there was no way to get round them, you have to cross the small footbridge. However, many times I've seen people drive through the area and stop and hand out box lunches to the homeless, it was a daily occurrence. Vancouver Island is where the vast majority of pension cheques go each month, it's a haven for seniors, again because of the mild year round weather. Victoria used to be my favourite place to shop for books, it has dozens of used book shops where you can find old, out of print, hard to find books.
22 Sep 2014 12:38PM
There are beggars in most major cities though not just Vancouver and to be honest we weren't affected by them. We travelled by bus into the city so passed straight through any areas where they congregated. This was similar to New York, San Francisco and many european cities too. The beggars are there but seem to have their own patch so we just avoid those parts. That said, I do think if you live there you notice things that visitors sometimes don't. Smile
CathyT 13 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
23 Sep 2014 9:34PM
Well well, I was there the same time as you Keith. Lake Louise, Kelowna, Banff, Jasper and Calgary....did you see the snow? We were freezing.....it just suddenly started snowing and it just didn't stop. Unusual temperatures for September.

-dsc0132.jpg

23 Sep 2014 9:38PM
One thing I did notice about the Canadian people is that they're rubbish at doing an English accent....its like a cross between Bertie Wooster and **** Van Dyke.
23 Sep 2014 10:27PM

Quote:Well well, I was there the same time as you Keith. Lake Louise, Kelowna, Banff, Jasper and Calgary....did you see the snow? We were freezing.....it just suddenly started snowing and it just didn't stop. Unusual temperatures for September.

Cathy, they're still cleaning up here in Calgary, and they will be for some time to come, trees down everywhere. The problem was that the deciduous trees still had their leaves and the snow adhered to it and broke them.

Did you see much wildlife, or did you do the whirlwind tour?
24 Sep 2014 1:03PM
Due to the weather there wasn't a lot about.....chipmunks, eagles, moose, blue jay and a bear so not bad.

Yes when we drove through Calgary it looked like a storm had blown through...trees down all over the place.
28 Sep 2014 8:07PM
Hi Cathy...sorry for the late reply. Yes we saw the snow too. We were in Jasper when it started. What a lovely place in the snow. You got some nice pics on your pf. Well done. Hope you had a great time. We went from Jasper in the snow to Edmonton and sunshine. Crazy weather Smile
29 Sep 2014 1:21PM
Probably just missed you. We had driven fro Kelowna 28 degrees to Banff where it was about 2. It started snowing mid morning and by 5pm there was about 10 - 15 cm of snow...it was amazing. Stayed there two days and then drove up to Jasper. All the trees were still laden with snow but after a few days in Jasper it started to thaw....and eventually the sun came out. Made for some good photos so I wasn't to bothered.Wink
7 Nov 2014 12:06PM
I think Iím going to take a look at Canada in the near future.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.