Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

cannot see canon 5dsr cr2 raw image in my computer windows 7 folders

Andy_brown 3 10 England
12 Aug 2017 2:59PM
Hi, just been using my Canon 5DSR for the first time, I have sorted Photoshop so can see images there and work them etc However when I copy files to a selected folder i cannot see the actual image just a CR2 Logo!. Had a look on the web but cannot see if there is an update for win7 (codec) that supports this latest camera any thoughts? I am currently capturing RAW & JPG so I can sort them next to each other to view but not very efficient way of doing it. Help appreciated

Cheers

Andy

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Niknut Plus
7 1.5k 73 United Kingdom
12 Aug 2017 5:32PM
I'm not familiar with your camera, but I shoot all my stuff in 'RAW' mode on my Canon camera, which
creates CR2 files........( I still use Windows 7).Smile

I download my images to Adobe Bridge, which has a facility to convert to DNG format during download ?

It doesn't answer your problem, but it's an alternative way of getting them on your computer, & DNG
files can be read & opened up in Photoshop easily !!
rambler Plus
9 863 14 England
12 Aug 2017 7:29PM
I always save my processed files as Tiff files which are viewable in windows software, CR2 can only be read by Photoshop or Canon software

Ken
12 Aug 2017 7:48PM
I use windows 8.1 and i can view CR2 files in picture viewer. I think there is a codec available from Microsoft. Not sure if it's available for win7 though.
dark_lord Plus
13 2.0k 439 England
12 Aug 2017 7:51PM
As Niknut says, try Adobe Bridge as it's a free download and should display your RAW images as thumbnails.
LesleyJ 10 215 England
12 Aug 2017 10:03PM
I have a 5d mark iv and windows does not have a codec for that so I cannot see the files in windows explorer. I have the default programme set to open raw files as adobe bridge so when I see the raw file its show the bridge logo not the cr2 logo.
I have downloaded a work around called fast picture view , it cost about 8 not I can see the raw thumbnail images in windows.
Philh04 Plus
11 1.1k United Kingdom
13 Aug 2017 8:49AM
I am not a Windows user but have fond memories of Faststone image viewer from the days that I was. Will the latest version of that app display your raw files? Best of all it is free....
Andy_brown 3 10 England
14 Aug 2017 11:01AM
Thanks all, I have downloaded as you recommended Phil Faststone image viewer and will certainly suffice until windows update the coded (if ever) for the camera raw images, I will continue to record doth RAW & JPEGS though.

Cheers
Andy
psiman 13 569 Wales
15 Aug 2017 12:24PM
Have you tried SageThumbs? It's a free Windows Explorer extension that allows you to preview RAW files. Works for me.

Simon

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.