Regatta Offer: Save 15% on 'Top Picks' With Code TP15

canon / nikon

jingler 10 18
21 Jan 2014 5:41PM
I was watching winterwatch last night and noticed Gordon buchanan was using a Nikon d800 body with a canon
large prime lens.
just wondering why and would he have had to get an adaptor specialy made.

jingler
mikehit 12 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
21 Jan 2014 5:57PM

Quote:would he have had to get an adaptor specialy made

I think it was an FD-mount lens (400mm probably), not an EF Lens and the FD-to-Nikon adapters are available.
Nikon make some big white lenses.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=nikon+white+lens&client=firefox-a&hs=fCh&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=3bTeUvMgyvTsBtCWgJAL&ved=0CE0QsAQ&biw=1920&bih=1069
thewilliam 13 6.1k
21 Jan 2014 6:02PM
The Canon lens throat is considerably wider than Nikon's.

Canon users can buy a simple and cheap adapter to allow them to use the (generally superior) Nikon lenses But putting a Canon lens on a Nikon body often involves surgery and telephoto lenses have a long barrel so it's easier than for a wide-angle.

I had a play with the Canon D1X at the Swampies Convention and it's a fine piece of kit.
chris.maddock 20 3.7k United Kingdom
21 Jan 2014 8:06PM

Quote:The Canon lens throat is considerably wider than Nikon's.

More crucially, the register distance (from the front of the mount to the "film" plane) is less on Canons than Nikons, 44mm instead of 46.5mm IIRC, thereby allowing room for a bit of "meat" to an adapter without losing infinity focussing and without needing to get the back of the lens "inside" the camera mount.

I use the excellent Nikon 14-24/2.8 on my Canons - took a bit of doing since, being a G-series lens, it doesn't have an aperture control ring so I had to "adapt" the adapter to add a lever to drive the aperture control lever inside the mount.
My Canon EOS 5D and the Nikon 14-24 is a stonking wide-angle combination - I just give it one brand name for simplicities sake, it's the first three letters of the camera make followed by the last two of the lens make Wink
21 Jan 2014 8:38PM

Quote:More crucially, the register distance (from the front of the mount to the "film" plane) is less on Canons than Nikons, 44mm instead of 46.5mm IIRC, thereby allowing room for a bit of "meat" to an adapter without losing infinity focussing and without needing to get the back of the lens "inside" the camera mount.

I'm confused. The Canon register different is smaller so if fitting a Canon lens to a Nikon body the lens has (theoretically) to be inside the Nikon body. Because this is not possible you need a converter with a lens to refocus the image and give you infinity focussing.
Nikon lens to Canon body is fine - all you need is a 'spacer' (converter) to make the distance the same as the Nikon body.
21 Jan 2014 8:54PM

Quote:I'm confused. The Canon register different is smaller so if fitting a Canon lens to a Nikon body the lens has (theoretically) to be inside the Nikon body. Because this is not possible you need a converter with a lens to refocus the image and give you infinity focussing.

I was referring to the EOS Canons, don't know about the older FDs, they may have a different register distance to the EOSs. I'm pretty sure that to use FD lenses on an EOS you do need an adapter with a lens to recover infinity focussing.
21 Jan 2014 9:06PM
Canon EOS has a shorted distance so you need a lens corrector if you want to mount a Nikon lens.
But the same applies to FD as well: only adapters I have seen for Canon FD to Nikon body also have a lens:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-FD-Lens-to-Nikon-body-Mount-Adapter-Infinity-focus-With-correctional-glass-/300697984163
21 Jan 2014 9:40PM

Quote:Canon EOS has a shorted distance so you need a lens corrector if you want to mount a Nikon lens.

No you don't - you just need the flange on the adapter to be 2.5mm thick so that it moves the lens forward of the camera mount front by that amount. Thus the back of the mount on the lens is the correct distance (from the lens optical design point of view) from the "film" plane.
21 Jan 2014 10:04PM
Bleah! Brain fart....I meant if you want to mount a Canon lens to Nikon body you need a lens corrector ...
uggyy 15 2.1k 9 Scotland
21 Jan 2014 10:35PM
Wondering if it was a FD 400mm f/2.8L, seems a lot of work to go to get it on a Nikon Body....

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.