Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Canon 10D User's

collywobles 17 4.1k 10 United Kingdom
29 Mar 2004 11:12AM
Would appreciate any comments, advice, recommendations on the Canon 10D. I have one on order and would like to create a Canon 10D thread for help and advice. Whats it like to use, what's the best settings etc, anything that will help. What size card should I get.......etc etc. Am already an avid Canon EOS User with a 500N and an EOS 3.
kit-monster 17 3.7k 2 Singapore
29 Mar 2004 11:31AM
First off, I'd suggest using RAW. Here's a thread discussing why.

Strawman suggests:

[/i]Which aspect was not as good? I found that I had to learn about the parameters and how the focusing works before I obtained the type of photo quality I wanted.

I believe the 10D is like the 300D, in that it tends to produce slightly soft, low contrast and if in doubt under exposed shots. I produce best shots with Contrast, Sharpness and saturation set to +1. To get the best you then give it a quick tweak in photoshop for levels, usharp mask etc.

If the photo's look soft try an unsharp mask at about 1 pixel radius 100% and 0 threshold. I was given that advise and it works great.

As for RAW, I find you set the white balance, then adjust exposure for levels, then get colour correct, then contrast, finally ending with sharpness. I found this sequence works best, but then that could just be me. [i]

This also works for me.

I get 40 shots on average on a 256 MB card set to RAW + small Jpg. This should give you an idea of card size.

If you're taking rapid shots, get a CF card with a fast write speed.

I normally under expose by 1/3 to 2/3 stop. Sometimes the 10d tends to slightly overexpose and it's easier to rescue a slightly under exposed image using RAW.

If you do choose RAW, the Canon software isn't great. You might want to think about Photoshop CS or Capture One.

The reduced angle of view will exaggerate some of the undesired effects of inferior lenses!

Beware of dust! Take care when changing lenses.

It's a fantastic camera and may take a while for you to produce the standard you are used to with your film camera, so don't be too despondent if your first results are below par.

I'm sure I'll think of some more!

Edward
KevSB 17 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
29 Mar 2004 6:24PM
agree with everthing above, had mine 2 months now and teqneques are only just dropping into place,
very dissapointed when first got it due to soft focus.
but you soon learn soft focus give better quaility, easy to sharpen later
park my ferret 17 1.0k United Kingdom
29 Mar 2004 6:48PM
I have it, it is a very good camera, agree with the soft focus issue, but it can be corrected. It is great for low noise levels at High iso's and also long exposures ... better that most other cameras in fact. Mirror lockup feature is good for macro work, and pc socket is useful for studio shoots. But I agree that you really have to get used to it before you get better photo's , but you'll have fun experimenting.
29 Mar 2004 7:49PM
With regard to shooting in RAW and JPEG, and the soft focus issues, I tend to find that I need to do more sharpening with a RAW image than with the JPEG.

Has anyone else found this to be the case?
Firebaby 17 1.2k Faroe Islands
29 Mar 2004 9:31PM
I think that setting the camera to take jpegs rather than RAW causes the camera to perform some sharpening, white balance, contrast processing. So it would be true to say that with RAW (no processing) you might need to sharpen a little more than for a jpeg which has already been processed once.
29 Mar 2004 10:07PM
As a professional. I shoot purely in RAW mode with the d10 and convert to 18 meg tiffs for archival storage.

I then duplicate the shots I wish to work with in photoshop then there is no chance for errors processing masters.

Please understand the shot data in raw mode is in an almost fluid state. You can alter all the paramiters of the negative at this stage and even correct serious + or -ev errors.

Images should never be sharpened except in your portfolio as a visible presentation to clients as they sharpen the soft image to there requirements when purchased.

If you shoot jpeg and resave its like looking at washed overused clothing Wink and the chances of a repair are NIL

Hope this helps,

Chris
29 Mar 2004 10:14PM
If you are sharpening images in photoshop use the unsharp mask at 100% once, and select sharpen edges once for best effect.

Working with web res images, reduce the image first then sharpen.

You can cheat a little by sharpening and then reducing the image and doing the same at each level. You will see if you have erred as oversharpening really hits the eye.

There is something at globalphotosite on this with a wysiwyg example but I would have to look it up for a links.

Chris
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
29 Mar 2004 10:59PM
When sharpening I find that the best method is to convert your image into Lab color and sharpen the Lightness channel. As you are leaving the colour channel untouched you will, if needed, be able to apply more sharpening than in RGB mode alone. This method will also avoid the horrible artifacts that can be created when sharpening in RGB.
If you are shooting in RAW, then the first thing to do after opening that file in PS, is to save it untouched as a RAW file. Click save, and PS will only give you three options in 16bit mode,one of which is RAW.
29 Mar 2004 11:27PM
Got that kieth, good shooting.

My raw files are always saved as untouchable masters to a removable secure drive.

Master tiffs are created on the digital darkroom pc in adode. Then I can work in safety with a duplicate image in adobe.

Lab mode, Intellihance pro and a new digital publication from Mike Upstone via Jessops in the UK and Ebook systems on the web is about to launch in April and rock the very foundations of image management. It is also very likely to set new benchmarks worldwide. There is a link to AI from the Gps homepage at www.globalphotosite.org in the left hand menu.

Kindest regards,

Chris
30 Mar 2004 8:34AM
Wow, what a response. Many thanks guy's and gal's this data is very interesting indeed and is surely going to help me (when I eventually get delivery of my 10D). Kepp the thread going as I'm sure I'm not the only one benefitting here TX.
11 May 2004 5:26PM
Odered my 10D from Parks on March 19th and still no news even as to when I can expect it. Also ordered from Amazon May 4th and they send me an email today telling me it has been despatched. If Amazon can do why can't Parks.

Appreciate all the advice on this link and now propose to put it all into practice. Many thanks to everyone.
ger mac 17 62 Ireland
17 May 2004 10:02PM
I have 2 10D's and I think that you'd find it hard to find a camera to beat them.When you get yours , get out with it and take as many pics as you can and try all the different set ups. I found this the best way to get the feel of the camera.
Best of luck with yours.
geoff@rio 16 8
18 Jun 2004 9:20AM
Collywobbles,

I'm slightly ahead of you. Also have a 500n and an EOS3 but I have also had my 10D for some four or five months now. It's brilliant and since purchasing it I have hardly used my other two EOS bodies. Have also purchased the lightweight 18-50 Sigma DC lens (specially designed for digital format) and that has pin sharp super wide angle shots. Now use this Sigma as my standard lens on the 10D.
vickyrking 16 13 Wales
18 Jun 2004 10:10AM
I have two 10D's and am really pleased with them. Agree with much of what has been said earlier - always best to shoot in RAW mode. I have had the dreaded problem with dust on the sensor and had to send the camera away to be cleaned properly. The 'blower brush' method as suggested in the Canon manual didn't work for me - I just ended up blowing the dust from one part of the sensor to the other rather than removing it! That was after 11 months (3000 pictures worth) of use though. Make sure you never change lenses with the camera powered on as this is almost guaranteed to produce enough static to attract all dust particles in the vicinity...

Vicky

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.