Claim 3 FREE professional prints with Fujifilm

Canon 28-300mm ISL

jackal 18 5
18 Jul 2004 7:31AM
Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone is using the new lense from Canon? If so what d'you think of it as I'm thinking about buying one.
tim franklin 18 2.7k
18 Jul 2004 9:53AM
Review of the lens here. Tell us about it if you go ahead and buy!
LAF 19 1.7k
18 Jul 2004 5:51PM
The reviews I've seen have been less than sparkling. Unless you want the big white look you would probably be better off with Canons 28-135 IS and their new 70-300 DO IS (also on luminous landscape, compare distortion and sharpness!!!). This combination would also be much lighter and cheaper at around 1300 quid. Alternatively, if weight is not the concern then Canons 100-400 L IS instead of the 70-300 would give you more range and still for a lot less money than the 28-300. Both these combo's give full Image stabilisation and leave no gaps in the focal range.

Just a thought,

Lee.
haffende 17 37 United Kingdom
28 Jul 2004 12:10PM
I have just bought the 28-300 ISL for 1700. I was also a bit hesitant having read some of the reviews but I really wanted a single lens solution for my newly aquired EOS 1D MKII. Before the purchase I tried the lens out, and most other 2 lens combinations, in the shop and checked the results at home before finally purchasing. I was stunned by the results and ever since I have been delighted with the results. I took the lens to Farnborough airshow and it was superb, the IS really worked well especially when panning in Mode 2 IS. Lens changing during the flying display was not a practical option. The lens is very heavy but more than managable...plus a monopod really helps. Whilst I always research and read all the reviews, very often the differences that the experts highlight between a good and bad lens are barely negligible and very rarely noticed by anyone who is not an expert...especially on the 'L' series lenses which are all excellent.

I hope this helps.

Ian H

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.