Save 17% On All Regatta Jackets With Code: JACKETS17

Canon 300 f2.8 with 2X convertor advice

Karen_Summers 12 8 1 United Kingdom
25 Jan 2009 4:25PM
have just bought a canon 300f2.8 lens with a 1.4 convertor anyone got any advice on using it with a 2X convertor
Melanie_M 15 168 9 United Kingdom
25 Jan 2009 5:11PM
Try link
25 Jan 2009 5:18PM
thanks melanie found that link very helpful
samfurlong 15 2.5k United Kingdom
25 Jan 2009 5:49PM
With the 1.4x I find this combination brilliant, the 1.4 is almost invisible optically and you only loose a stop of light.

A doubler will unfortunately loose you 2 stops and degrade the image considerably more. That said the canon 2x is very good and I do sometimes use it when I am being lazy and can't be bothered to carry anything longer and the results are fine, just remember to watch your shutter speeds as not only are you operating at f5.6 but you have also doubled the focal length to 600 so keep the ISO up, use the IS or use a monopod.
What that reviewer bloke says is right though, only use doublers on top quality prime lenses (preferably fast ones) such as your 300mm if you want good images. If you try it on a zoom or cheaper lenses you will probably be disappointed.
25 Jan 2009 8:02PM
thanks for that info wonder if you could avise me on a tripod for the 300f2.8 lens and a manfrotto 393 mount as my tripod is a manfrotto 190xb and will not be sturdy enough
samfurlong 15 2.5k United Kingdom
25 Jan 2009 8:11PM
I use a manfrotto 055xprob tripod and a 488rc2 ball and socket heah which hold a canon 500 f4L lens and a MKIII body comfortably enough so they should handle the 300.
25 Jan 2009 8:18PM
thanks for that gets a bit confusing with all the different tripods heads etc
colin beeley Plus
18 1.2k 10 England
26 Jan 2009 8:55AM
i use a ball head but i am thinking about geting one of these
_ 16 535 4 Virgin Islands, British
26 Jan 2009 9:01AM
I've got a wimberley head for sale at the moment. looking for £180 for it if you're interested. Great for flight shots and makes any lens controllable by the fingertips.

John
User_Removed 15 59 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2009 10:23AM
I always find there is something not quite right when using a x2.

Maybe it is because the heavy lens is set away from the camera body a few more inches more and the handling, even on a tripod, is not as it should.

Or is it that the AF is a little more uncertain and fusses more with the extender in place, I have never measured this in a scientific way).

The viewfinder also is much dimmer and takes off the 'brilliance' of the fast F2.8 lens. The images are less exciting to look at when they are two stops down, even with the advances of VF screens.

I also find the success rate of sharp images drops considerably with the x2 but with the x1.4 is just about the same.

Image stabilisation (IS) is also less effective with extenders; they were designed for the original focal length, but still offer some reduction of camera shake with the extender mounted.

On a tripod it is best to deactivate (IS) as you may get blurred images when the (IS) starts to ‘track’.

Having said that, we cannot easily afford a 600 F4, so the x 2 extender is often a good compromise.

Try using a long lens with a (x2) on a x1.6 multiplication factor digital body and you'll be amazed at the sunsets you'll achieve.

Don't ever look through the viewfinder; use a white card a few inches away from the rear of the finder to see the image. The camera actually can project it! Or shoot an image without looking through the camera and playback the image to check composition etc.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.