Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 3-Months For FREE!

Canon 300d

StevenHanna 18 296 United Kingdom
21 Apr 2004 12:30PM
Having recently ordered a Canon 300D c/w 18-55mm lens, I have the following query. Will this lens allow me to get close enough to produce reasonably good macro shots, or do I need to think about buying another lens?

Steven
park my ferret 17 1.0k United Kingdom
21 Apr 2004 12:39PM
get an extension tube - either secondhand or new from jessops for about 70 quid for 3 you can get extremly close with these.
mattw 17 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
21 Apr 2004 1:15PM
The cheepest option is to get a closeup filter - they screw onto the from of the lens, and do not cost much at all.

Mattw
brian1208 17 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
21 Apr 2004 2:08PM
Steven, Matt is correct when sayig the most economic route into macro work is close up filters.

Be warned though, once you start you will very soon find you need a decent macro lens Smile

If you do, I would suggest saving money and going straight from filters to a proper macro lens. I have all three options and find I use my tubes the least.

Have fun, Brian
chris.maddock 19 3.7k United Kingdom
21 Apr 2004 2:38PM
I agree with Brian, although I do have (and use) tubes.
Screw-in filters are the cheapest option but lower the image quality. I started out with them, but soon switched and eventually I passed them on to someone who bought my lenses they fitted.
Tubes are (usually) the next cheapest option, provided you don't buy the Canon ones, but lose light. My tubes are more often used behind a long lens (either 70-200 or even 100-400), to give me a good magnification but a long working distance so as not to spook insects.

A macro lens has neither of those weaknesses - and still doesn't necessarily have to cost a fortune. The Vivitar 100mm f3.5 is very good value at a shade under 140 (that's Jessops' price, so it's probably available for less). Mechanically it's a little clunky with slow, noisy focussing - but AF isn't actually that useful for macro work anyway, I never use it. Optically it's very good, especially considering the price. It does 1:2 reproduction in the native form, with a matched filter supplied to take it to 1:1

KRs
Chris
StevenHanna 18 296 United Kingdom
21 Apr 2004 2:48PM
Thanks everyone. Still bit confused, but I may have a look at these extension tubes 1st. Am low in cash, so they may be ok to start off - then I may purchase a macro lens. We'll see.

Steven
Ewan 18 383 Scotland
21 Apr 2004 3:14PM
Steven, I've been using extension tubes with my Canon 28-135 zoom while my sigma macro lens is awaw being rechipped to work with the 300d.

I've found that I'm getting some nasty chromatic aberration (red/purple fringing on high-contrast edges) and the advice I was given here was to avoid using tubes with a zoom lens.
21 Apr 2004 4:14PM
Like I said on one of my pics you responded too, I only have the extension tubes from Jessops and haven't had any problems with using them (even with a 75-300mm lens). I was considering buying a macro lens further down the road, but I don't think I will need to :0)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.