Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 3-Months For FREE!

Canon 300D Users

StevenHanna 18 296 United Kingdom
29 Apr 2004 12:27PM
Having just purchased my 300D, I'm trying to familiarise myself with it. Maybe some of you more experienced users could give me guidance on a few points...

When using Landscape / Sportsmode, and I zoom in on something, at times my shutter speed flashes (which I think means that the photo won't be exposed properly?). Is there anyway of getting around this in this mode? Surely if 'Landscape' mode is supposed to automatically set shutter / aperture for you, then why does it not just select a diff shutter speed?

When downloading images to your computer, is there anyway of saving the image as a TIFF file? I haven't used RAW, so my camera is set at Large Fine jpeg. I know I can save the shot as a jpeg, then go into Photoshop and re-save as a TIFF, but is there a quicker way of doing this?

These are probably really stupid questions, but as someone who has not been used with a digital SLR before and is still trying to learn and understand the ins and outs of photography, please be kind and help me...! :0)

Thanks

Steven
mattw 17 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
29 Apr 2004 1:06PM
Hello Steven,

Sorry to say - I've never used the auto modes, and I don't have the manual to hand (which should tell you for certain), but at a guess I would say that it might be warning you that the shutter speed is relatively slow, and you may get camera shake if handholding....

The quickest method for saving as TIFF (apart from buying Capture ONE to convert the Raw files) is as you are doing. The TIFF file is 18MB, so you don't really want these clogging up your memory card!

Mattw
brian1208 17 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
29 Apr 2004 1:36PM
Steven have a look here for advice on setting the camera. Try shooting in P mode rather than the other pre-set modes.

Brian
park my ferret 17 1.0k United Kingdom
29 Apr 2004 1:45PM
I only ever use M or AV mode - if your out and about taking general shots in daylight use AV mode. start with a low mumber ie 4.0 0r 5.6 - this will then work out the shutter speed for you ... if it gives you a high speed (500 OR MORE) you can turn the dial near the shutter release and increase the apperture number to 8.0 or 11 or more ... this will lower the shutter speed and give you more depth of field (the amount of distance that is in focus). but try to choose an apperture that keeps your shutter speed to abouve 125, cos any speed under ie; 60 could result in camera shake .in which case use a tripod or turn the iso up to 400 or 800 or more ... the higher iso gives you faster speeds in lower light, but the results can be grainy.
my advice is experiment - it's digital so taking and deleting pics is not going to cost you anything, so practice in this mode and you'll work out how to use it .
also I use M mode for studio work with flashes etc
u08mcb 17 5.8k
29 Apr 2004 2:00PM
shake depends on if your shutter speed is under the reciprocal of the focal length at f16, low speeds hand-held would be ok on a sunny day
cambirder 17 7.2k England
29 Apr 2004 3:10PM
I only ever use AV, M and TV modes. You cant actually choose the ISO setting in the program modes. It will always set it at 100 in landscape mode, and combine that with a narrow appature to give a wide depth of field and minimum noise as that is what the programmers have defined as what makes a good landscape. As a consequence you get a fairly low shutter speed, but the assumption is that this is not a problem as you are likely to using a fairly wide angle lens and possibly a tripod for landscapes.

In sports mode it will set the ISO at 400 and always give the fastest possible shutter speed. In poor light you might be better off moving to AV mode, setting the appature, to its widest setting and up the ISO to 800 or 1600. This will allow you to get the fastest shutter speed available out of your camera.
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
29 Apr 2004 5:07PM
I tend to use it like cambirder, the program shift feature is pretty usefull, so I must admit to not bothering to discover the other settings. I try to start at ISO 100, keep the sutter speed lower number higher than the focal length (e.g 50mm try 1/60 minimum) then decide whether the apeture value is ok. If not then up the ISO speed.

In general the program mode tends to offer a suitable shutter value from the start.
agoreira 17 6.0k Wales
29 Apr 2004 5:19PM
Same as cambirder, as well. Always seems a waste to me to buy a DSLR, and then just use the programme modes, bit like a point and shot.
Frank
Carabosse 18 41.5k 270 England
29 Apr 2004 6:28PM
Even before the digital days, people bought SLRs and used them for point-and-shoot.

The Canon A-1 SLR, introduced about 25 years ago, was a godsend to some because it had a fully-programmed mode!!

I agree it is a waste but live and let live I guess.

BTW the programme mode on my current prosumer cam is hopeless... no temptation to use it at all!! Lol!! Wink
29 Apr 2004 7:39PM
Don't see the problem with the Creative Zone program mode myself as it's shift mode lets you alter shutter speed, aperture, exposure compensation, active focus points, ISO, and file compression to your hearts content. That's how my 300D behaves anyway Checking my manual, and camera, there are no parameters the camera allows you to change that you cannot change in the Creative Zone Program.

In my view for wildlife and sports Av mode is good, and for tripod use I use shutter speed as I am usually trying to force a long shutter speed.

I must admit to not having used the Basic Zone program features where a lot of things are done for you. I guess these are the ones you are criticising.
29 Apr 2004 8:00PM
Back to the original question. If the shutter speed blinks its warning you about camera shake Page 41 in Manual. In the other basic modes it will pop up the flash for you but in sports landscape and no flash mode it will not.

Next time this happens try moving it to program mode, set the aperture to its smallest number using the wheel, and if the shutter speed number is not higher than the lens focal length increase the ISO value.

Good luck.
billma 17 119 United States
30 Apr 2004 3:11AM
Some basic rules I have learned, sometimes the hard way.

Start shooting RAW and creative zones now. That way you won't have so many regrets when you finally figure it out.

Take your time and do the research on equipment, avoid impulses.

Buy the best lenses you can. Don't compromise. Shoot what you have until you know and can afford what you really want.

Have a whole lot of fun at it. Don't take any of it too seriously.

Bill
mattw 17 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
30 Apr 2004 3:38AM
There is nothing wrong with using the auto modes while you learn the camera, but when you are happy with opperating the camera, I realy do reccomend trying the semi-auto modes. The apiture pririty mode (AV) is the one I use most (only switching to fully manual in tricky lighting conditions).

The appiture controlls the depth of field (the ammount of space before and after the point of focus that is in sharp focus) - just remember to keep an eye on the shutterspeed if hand holding

Mattw
StevenHanna 18 296 United Kingdom
3 May 2004 10:02AM
Thanks everyone for your comments. Have been using P mode a lot, trying to familiarise myself with it. One thing I have noticed is that I'm having problems getting a fast shutter speed (specifically for wildlife shots). I then read that I should increase the ISO settings - so I did this, and yes, this then gave me a faster shutter speed. But as you increase the ISO, you increase the grain / noise in the shot.. right? So what ISO would you recommend for either sports / wildlife photography, that would give a happy medium of sharp image, but not too much noise?

Steven
brian1208 17 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
3 May 2004 10:05AM
I usually shoot at ISO 400 for fast shots but if the light is bad or I need to really freeze the action I have shot at 1600. You will need something like NeatImage to reduce the noise though (or shoot to make a feature of the "grainy" look Smile

Brian

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.