Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Canon 300D Users

strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
3 May 2004 5:49PM
Difficult to give one answer as it depends on focal length and subject. Up to ISO 400 is OK for most photo's above tends to be a compromise. Its an area I am learning about but I am willing to share my findings and happy to hear from more experienced members if I am going wrong.

I tend to pick the shutter speed I want and set the minimum ISO I need to get that. You could go to Av mode, set the smallest Aperture number you can, and then adjust the ISO speed accordingly.

E.G For birds in flight try at least 1/500 if you wish to freeze them. If they are static about 1/100 min. Of course you need to factor in focal length, and a hand held 200mm or longer lens would push me towards 1/500 to make certain I was moving away from camera shake. If you want to pan then try 1/60.

I hope this gives you an idea of the things you can experiment with/about.
cambirder 17 7.2k England
3 May 2004 7:15PM
Steve,

I find the noise level @ 1600 aceptable for most uses and its better to have a bit of noise than a unsharp image. This image was taken at 1600 and has had no treatment to reduce the noise.

I nearly always use a tripod or most Wildlife which enables some pretty slow shutter speeds to be used.

Paul
lostpatrol 17 19
3 May 2004 11:14PM
I think you would benefit from learning to use manual mode and or Tv Ap rather than using the auto settings as this gives you much more control, I assume the 300D has manual mode etc. I have a 10D which is basically the same camera with a few more custom functions, both cameras need a lot of practice and can be difficult to handle, but give excellent results when you have mastered them, it is digital so taking lots of shots to try different things wont cost you anything except time.

As far as RAW to tiff goes if you want to shoot RAW use raw + the smallest jpeg setting (I think that is medium on the 300D) and convert to tiff.

If you shoot jpeg you have already compressed the image, so converting to Tiff is only any good it you intend to edit it, as resaving jpeg is not a good idea.
Once you have edited your tiff you will probably have to convert to jpeg to use/print etc.

The Highest jpeg setting is almost indistinguishable in quality than Tiff, unless you are shooting things with defined lines.
venton 17 44
4 May 2004 8:09AM
Hi Steven, personally I would only ever shoot RAW - just imagine this as your equiv. to a film negative, some people will argue that it's a pain to convert to TIFF, JPEG etc but I'd disagree, invest in a third party piece of software (C1 DSLR, Breezebrowser) or use the FileViewer supplied with the camera which will allow you to batch convert RAW to TIFF etc. Learn to use AV / M modes, if shooting landscapes, use AV and set for max DOF (depth of field), if you get a low shutter speed, then use a tripod (preferable) or up the ISO. Even with a tripod you may get 'camera shake' on really slow shutter speeds from you pressing the shutter btton so consider investing in a remote . Make use of the 'histogram' which can be inlcuded in the review of your image, this will give you a feel for the exposure of the image, occsionally I even take a quick test shot of the subject, review the histogram, make adjustments, delete the image, compose and take the shot again! Smile Enjoy your 300D

Simon
muddymoose 17 7
4 May 2004 11:26AM
Hello Steven..

We're probably in the same 'boat'. To get to Tiff ideally you should use the RAW file format and then change it using the Canon software (Zoom fileviewer or some thing like that) to convert. However this is only available in the zone with P, A-Dep, M etc and not in the graphical mode of landscape etc. (Sorry I can't remember whats called creative mode and whats called something else). You would have to change the setting to save as RAW.

I personally can't see a great advantage in using RAW at the moment, as with what I'm doing with the camera doesn't warrant it. This was commented on in Practical Photography last month.

Ultimately do what I do, use the automatic for shots that I definitely want to get first time, for shots that can be taken again and again keep trying different setting and have a good play with them. That's the reason why I bought a digital SLR, so that I can keep trying things out without it costing me 10 per film and developing.

By the way teh EOS 300D is the best'thing' I've ever bought!

regards

Andy
StevenHanna 18 296 United Kingdom
4 May 2004 11:36AM
Thanks. Will experiment and see what results I get with the diff ISO speeds. I'm realising that there's so much to learn.... But as long as you're enjoying it..!

So far I'm very pleased with the 300D.

Steven
EOSPETE 18 147
4 May 2004 5:42PM
I am having real problems with my 300D at the moment converting RAW files to TIF. The full story plus the results I am getting are on my website at

www.madeley.garlick.net/300d.htm

Canon Helpline has said this is a software problem but modifying all the settings does not improve the situation at all. All preference options have been tried plus sRGB and Adobe98 and I am now stuck for what to try next.

If there are any ideas I would be very grateful, otherwise the unit will have to go back for professional checking under warranty.

Thanks in advance
P
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
4 May 2004 7:20PM
I have not observed this myself but here are my thoughts.

Can you try the software on different PC's. As the JPEG files are correct I agree that this sounds like a Software Problem rather than a hardware problem, so I doubt it is worth sending the camera back.

Just for comparison, my PC shows white balance as shot settings and the colour is 5200K. Does your File browser software show the same number. Have you set a custom white balance in the camera? In File Browser I can create a similar effect by setting the white balance to Tungsten. This makes me wonder if you should try adjusting the in-camera while balance. Also try changing it in the PC software.

Have you kept it up to date with the firmware versions.? I know mine is behind in versions.

Also have you tried saving in 8 bit as well as 16 bit TIFF output. Does this make a difference.

Finally, have you tried un-installing all the Canon Software then re-installing it.
EOSPETE 18 147
4 May 2004 7:27PM
hadn't thought of firmware update - nice one will download the new one.
Been trying on my laptop instead of Dads (its his camera) C1LE converts fine but not Breezebrowser, so the camera settings must be fine as well. Perhaps the WIA needs reinstalling. Cheers Strawman you've given me some things to try. I will report back on this thread.

Cheers
P

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.