Affinity Photo - professional photo editing with 50% off!

Canon 350D and RAW image problem

phil_1975 15 165 United Kingdom
30 Jul 2005 6:54AM
Right I admit I'm completely stumped after spending the last two hours trying to work this out.

I've taken some RAW images on my Canon 350D which I've only had a couple of weeks and I am slowly getting to grips with.

My problem is that I can't seem to download them onto my PC (Windows XP). I can view them fine on the camera but as soon as I connect the camera to the PC there are no images to display (according to the PC). If I take the photo using the RAW+L setting then all I get is just the JPG when connected to the PC.

I've tried using different memory cards, ensured the communication setting on the camera is set to PC connection and even browsed the Canon website for any known issues.

Has anyone else experienced this or offer any advice. Not sure if it's me missing something obvious, the camera (I hope not) or the PC (which is in desperate need of being replaced).

Thanks in advance.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

wotashot 15 2.2k
30 Jul 2005 6:58AM
Hi Phil,

What are you trying to view them through?

Jamie
Coleslaw 14 13.4k 28 Wales
30 Jul 2005 7:21AM
Phil,
u have to download the raw files to ur computer using the softwares that comes with it. Have u installed Canon viewer utility? after u install it, connect ur camera to the computer, open up the software and u will see it appear on top of the folder tree list on the left hand side. double click on the camera name until u see the thumbnails appear. and u can see from the thumbnails either they r raw files or jpeg files.
U can drag the whole folder or individual file to ur computer to copy them from the camera.
hope this helps.

cole
marcuskeeler 15 79
30 Jul 2005 7:44AM
Cole. Don't use phone text, use the language you learnt at school
keithh 15 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
30 Jul 2005 7:53AM
or English.....
Wink
30 Jul 2005 7:58AM
Well, I did learn English at school, Keith....Wink
Sorry, just to save some time...marcuskeeler. As long as I could get the message through, thats fine with me though....Wink

cole
brian1208 16 11.6k 12 United Kingdom
30 Jul 2005 8:01AM
there is a free, downloadable Windows programme which will let you view the images through your usual Windows Viewer. Otherwise you may wish to consider RawShooter Essentials (look under the Corel download listing - its a free programme too!) which lets you download and process the RAW files from the 350D

Brian

the XP RAW downloader
RSE site

or use the standard canon software that comes with the camera - as already suggested
bigjoe 15 10
30 Jul 2005 8:02AM
xp will not see raw file .... but it there .... open ps or canon softwere .....
elowes 15 2.8k United Kingdom
30 Jul 2005 8:03AM
Debased English is hard to read for those who don't share the desire to use this style.

The answer to the puzzle is as is often the case to read the manual.
phil_1975 15 165 United Kingdom
30 Jul 2005 8:37AM
OK thanks everybody I think I've made some progress and can now download the images. I had to re-install the software in the end so there must have been a problem with the installation.

Thanks for the links Brian although I seem to recall RawShooter Essentials won't work on my PC because it is old spec.

This is all a bit new to me. With my Fuji S7000 I could just drag and drop the RAW file from the camera to the PC via Windows Explorer and then I could open it up and edit it in Photoshop CS. This saved having to install the bundled software which 99% of it I wouldn't use. With the Canon it seems a little long-winded and now I discover that the Adobe RAW Plugin for the 350D only works with CS2. So I need a new PC and CS2 by the look of things, just after buying a new camera... I'm off to find a cheaper hobby.

Phil.
akh Plus
15 1.2k 5 United Kingdom
30 Jul 2005 10:11AM

Quote:Xp will not see raw file .... but it there .... open ps or canon softwere .....

It will if you down load the Microsoft RAW Image Thumbnailer and Viewer as Brian has suggested. Warning though it takes a while to download and install.
Tony
keithh 15 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
30 Jul 2005 10:16AM
Windows XP has always been able to view RAW files as thumbnails. Certainly I've always been able to.
wotashot 15 2.2k
30 Jul 2005 11:33AM
I haven't
30 Jul 2005 11:36AM
I haven't too. Keith, yours is super-computer..Wink

cole
Cowbags 15 436 England
30 Jul 2005 11:37AM
I've had the same problem with my Canon 350D. Actually (being honest) it is my boyfriend who has had this problem because he sorts out the technical computer side for me as it is over my head!!! He had no problem viewing RAW images taken on his 300D but he did with my 350D. He somehow managed to get my laptop to view my RAW pictures but only through using a card reader and not through the actual camera itself. I am really glad that I have just found this thread and that somebody else has been having the same problem. When I get my next day off work I will try out the suggestions made in this thread (either that or pass them on to my boyfriend!!!). I will let you know how I get on!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.