Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Enter ePHOTOzine's Prize Draw, with fab gifts for everyone! Click Here

canon 40d upgrade to a 60d

jingler 6 18
17 Jul 2011 8:12AM
hi all
i have a 40d and iam thinking of upgrading to a 60d.
i know all about the differences in specification etc but does it have a big leap in picture quality and iso quality
i will be using the same lenses as i have used on the 40d 17-40L, 70-300L and15-85

thanks in advance

jingler

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

WhiteRose1 Plus
6 1.6k 148 England
17 Jul 2011 11:24AM
Picture quality is more a case of the quality of your lenses, use of tripod etc. Having said that when I had the same problem last year I opted to upgrade from the 40D to a 7D. Reading past posts I think the general view is to upgrade to a 5D mkII to work alongside your 40D.

Dave
17 Jul 2011 11:46AM
Jingler you may find my postings of interest to you, specailly if you use sigma 17-70 lens,
theduck 7 58
17 Jul 2011 5:25PM

Quote:Picture quality is more a case of the quality of your lenses, use of tripod etc. Having said that when I had the same problem last year I opted to upgrade from the 40D to a 7D. Reading past posts I think the general view is to upgrade to a 5D mkII to work alongside your 40D.

Dave

HI Dave, i use the 5d mkii at the moment and am thinking about getting a 40d second hand, could you tell me, in your opinion, how the 40d compliments the 5D mkii
WhiteRose1 Plus
6 1.6k 148 England
17 Jul 2011 8:04PM

Quote:Picture quality is more a case of the quality of your lenses, use of tripod etc. Having said that when I had the same problem last year I opted to upgrade from the 40D to a 7D. Reading past posts I think the general view is to upgrade to a 5D mkII to work alongside your 40D.

Dave

HI Dave, i use the 5d mkii at the moment and am thinking about getting a 40d second hand, could you tell me, in your opinion, how the 40d compliments the 5D mkii

Hi Donald, I opted for the 7D in the end due to compatability of the lenses. The s lenses do not work on the full frame sensor.
If you take wildlife then the extra length you get from the 40d crop sensor will assist a lot. Your 5D will have better image quality and has a higher ISO performance. In answer to your question they would compliment each other very well because of the 2 types of sensors giving more versatility. But picture quality-wise please refer to my original comment about lenses.

Hope that helps,

Dave
User_Removed 12 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
17 Jul 2011 8:56PM
Jingler, I don't think that would be a worthwhile upgrade. I think you'd not notice enough of a difference. However if you went for a 7D or 5D II then you would, especially in improved high ISO quality.
FrogTastic 7 52 United Kingdom
17 Jul 2011 11:12PM
Agreed, I would suggest the 7D for cropped or 5D mk2 for Fullframe.
Hugo 11 649 United Kingdom
18 Jul 2011 12:05AM
Well I have a 40d and don't see the 60d as much of a step forward - unless you do a lot of low light work and clearly the high ISO performance will be better. I'm waiting for the 5dMk3 or mk4 to come out - then the Mk 2 will be better priced second hand - and with a 24-70 2.8 to replaced my 17-55 2.8.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.