Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

USA Landscape Photographer of the Year 2016 open to entries NOW!

Canon 40D viewfinder query, you can help if you have one ?

pigsy 12 8 Scotland
11 Dec 2007 12:07AM
Hi Guys

Just powered on my new 40D and the focussing screen was not clipped in right resulting in the 9 red AF points all looking a bit weird in the viewfinder.

So I nervously sorted that, and it all looks okay.. ish, but my question is this. When you activate all 9 red AF points, is there a dull red smudge at the 12 o'clock position right above the top AF point ?
There is on mine, but I'm not sure if this is right or if I still have a problem ?
Thanks in advance
Jim..

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cambirder 12 7.2k England
11 Dec 2007 12:29AM
Well I would have taken it back rather than trying to fix it. It is not normal, but it could be just do to a fingerprint you left on the focus screen, try removing it and giving it a clean.
pigsy 12 8 Scotland
11 Dec 2007 7:39PM
Nope it's not that. I never touched the screen, it looks more like a flaw of some kind, but without someone else to tell me if their 40D has a 12 o'clock red fuzzy circle above the top AF square, I don't know.
Can someone ? anyone help me ?
jason_e 11 15 1 United Kingdom
11 Dec 2007 8:01PM
Definitely no 12o'clock fuzz on mine, but I would not recomend taking the focusing screen out as i had a bug die on mine after about a week and I scratched mine getting it back with just my fingers.
However I was not bothered that much as I wanted to change it for the screen that is lined to help composure. The best 20 I've ever spent, and you get a tool with it to make the job easy.
But I agree with Cambirder, take it bach and say nothing.
Regards
Jason
pigsy 12 8 Scotland
11 Dec 2007 8:13PM
Guys, just found this link :
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=419805

Lots, okay, all of the 40D owners on here have this same "problem" . So looks like it's a feature, rather than a problem ??

Anyone else care to comment ?
Alcor 8 35 Scotland
11 Dec 2007 8:36PM
Yea there is a slight smudge/reflection or something above the top point on my one. Hadnt even noticed until i actually looked for it.
p3asa 10 676 Scotland
12 Dec 2007 3:09PM
I only ever use the centre point so had to switch it on but yes mine has the mark. Although when I say mark it is really a reflection because if you tilt the camera a wee bit it virtually diappears.

Steven.
cambirder 12 7.2k England
12 Dec 2007 8:18PM
Its not just the 40D, just checked my 5D and I get that below the 6 O'clock AF point.

The only way you can notice though is to activate all sensors against a dark background. In real use the lights are on for such a short time you just can't see it.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.