Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PortraitPro 17 with Background Editing Out Now! EXTRA 10% OFF code EPZRS17

Canon 430 ex III

17 Jun 2017 9:43PM
Hi

This may seem a really silly question but I have a habit of buying the wrong cables!

I have a Canon 6D and a canon 430 ex III RT flash. I am looking at using this as an off camera flash. What cable do I need that allows me to trigger the flash.

Many thanks in advance!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dark_lord Plus
13 2.0k 486 England
17 Jun 2017 10:29PM
Off camera shoe cord

Might be worth looking for low cost Chinese made radio triggers . They'd allow greater freedom in positioning the flash and you can add more flashes if needed or desired at a later date.
EddieAC Plus
12 1.7k 2 United Kingdom
17 Jun 2017 10:44PM
I don't use Canon but would assume sonething like This would work.

Also how about looking into flash triggers? I have four Yongnuo RF-603N triggers for Nikon which are only manual triggers but are good and you are not limited by the length of the cable. There are plenty of triggers available with E-TTL for your camera and flash.
19 Jun 2017 10:51AM
Thanks guys. The Yongnuo RF 603, would that also work with a Canon, also does it give you full control over the flash as you would if the flash was attached?

Many thanks
19 Jun 2017 10:54AM
or perhaps this one is the one I need?

Link
Philh04 Plus
12 1.2k United Kingdom
19 Jun 2017 12:11PM

Quote:Thanks guys. The Yongnuo RF 603, would that also work with a Canon, also does it give you full control over the flash as you would if the flash was attached?

Simple answer is no, both the RF603 and 603II are dumb and will only fire your flash in manual mode. I may be wrong but as far as I am aware only the Canon ST transmitters and possibly the Photix Odin will allow remote control on functions and ETTL on the RF units...
19 Jun 2017 1:07PM
Thanks Phil, thought that may be the case. Might have to save up for those at a later date! Smile
Chris_L Plus
3 4.1k United Kingdom
20 Jun 2017 12:15AM
The wireless E-TTL triggers work just as well as the curly cables but with a much greater range, something like these ones aren't much more expensive than a genuine Canon off shoe cable.

If money's tight there's these though.
Philh04 Plus
12 1.2k United Kingdom
20 Jun 2017 9:04AM
The YONGNUO YN622C-KIT that Chris has linked to looks to be the business and good value too, the only downside I can see is that if you add more RT capable heads you will need to add a transceiver for each, adding to the cost whereas with a genuine Canon RT unit there is no need.
I have used the youngnuo 622 trigger/receiver combo for a year. It's a no brainer at the price (3 recievers one trigger at 79.00 total when I bought them). never had a breakdown and I am as rough as guts with my photo equipment. I use them with my canon 430ex original and my youngnuo 568 ex11. I have never read the manual for the things but I have set off three flash units at once up to a distance of about 90 feet with all output etc controlled from the trigger unit on camera. Warning: the units eat duracells for fun!!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.