canon 430ex ii, yongnuo YN560111 please help

teerex 5 5
30 Mar 2015 11:42AM
Hi everyone
I'm just starting off with my photography and need some advice and help.
So I have
Canon 6d
Yongnuo 560 III flash
canon 430ex ii flash

I want to be able to use these wireless and wondering best ways to using one as a master flash if possible and what equipment I need to be able to shoot with these wireless.
I got given the canon 430ex ii and was going to sell the yongnuo, but thought I would wait and see if I can use it. I'm really after a flash on soft box set up off camera and a secondary light.
But open for all suggestions I'm going to be shooting mostly outdoors but work will vary. Just like to see what people think and if you could explain what I need or how I can do it.
Thanks heaps
mikehit 11 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
30 Mar 2015 1:47PM
For the price the Yongnuo flash would get I would keep it as a second flash.

The Yongnuo flash you have is 'wireless' but only in the sense that you don't need wires - it is actually triggered by the camera's onboard flash and the flash mut have line-of-sight to the camera (flash in front of the camera and no obstacles in the way). But as the 6D has no on-board flash this is not an option so I would suggest getting the Yongnuo radio flash trigger and it can be behind a tree or wherevever and even behind the camera so the radio trigger will give you more flexibility.
duratorque 17 427 United Kingdom
30 Mar 2015 4:25PM
If you want to shoot totally manual then all you need is something like a set of Yongnuo RF603 and you are away. Both will work.

If you buy a 90EX flash for your 6D, you can control the 430EXII optically with it, the Yongnuo 560III does not work as a optical slave AFAIK, but it has RF603 receiver built in.

If it is me, I would keep the 430EXII for on camera use as a ETTL flash. Then I will buy the Yongnuo YN560TX. With this unit you can control the power of your 560III flash remotely. If you buy a RF603 transceiver, you can put your 430EXII on it but you can only control the power manually.
teerex 5 5
31 Mar 2015 11:39AM
"If it is me, I would keep the 430EXII for on camera use as a ETTL flash. Then I will buy the Yongnuo YN560TX. With this unit you can control the power of your 560III flash remotely. If you buy a RF603 transceiver, you can put your 430EXII on it but you can only control the power manually."

Thanks for both the replies. I'm still a little lost in what the best and easiest way is. So I have the canon and yongnuo flash and also the Rf602 rx trigger set up.
Not sure if I can use this set up or what's the best and easiest way to use both these systems off camera.

Thanks again for all Ur help
31 Mar 2015 9:46PM
It depends on what you want to do with your flash. Do you want to shoot TTL? In that case the YN560III won't work. If you want to shoot with flash off camera, then all you need are a couple of RF603 and you are away. You will have to shoot manually which is the best way anyway.

I would say that is the best way forward if you want to shoot with flash off camera. That is how I started. Currently I use Yongnuo.YN622C. I can shoot wireless TTL or control power remotely.
teerex 5 5
31 Mar 2015 10:58PM
Ok great yeah I don't mind shooting the flash in Manual. But what if wanted to use both the flashes off camera.

So I could use the trigger rf 602rx I have that works with the yongnuo flash off camera and how could I implement the canon flash.
1 Apr 2015 7:59AM
You can buy multiple receivers for the Yongnuo trigger and fire them at the same time. Or you could connect the Canon flash to the camera (either on hot shoe or with a cord) and use that flash to both illumiate the subject and trigger the Yongnuo flash.
1 Apr 2015 8:41AM
Just buy two Yongnuo RF603 transceivers. Put one on the camera the attach your 430EXII on the other. That is it. The YN560III has a build in receiver. Put your 430EXII in manual mode and you can adjust the power manually. Happy shooting.
teerex 5 5
1 Apr 2015 10:27AM
Ok great thanks again guys for your help. So if I buy 2 x yongnuo rf 603 transceivers I will be able to use both my flashes off camera? Do I need any other equipment ? Sorry this is all just new to me
If I put to receivers on the cameras what do I connect to the camera hot shoe
1 Apr 2015 10:43AM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/YONGNUO-RF-602-Wireless-Trigger-Receiver/dp/B00BHRZ8IY/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1427881081&sr=8-8&keywords=yongnuo+rf602

The square thing (transmitter) goes onto the hotshoe and each flash plugs into one of the long rectangular things (receiver).
When you fire the camera, the transmitter fires and kicks off however many receivers you have set up.

This video shows it quite well and adding more flashes is as snimple as buying more receivers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5shvFGUf3g
teerex 5 5
1 Apr 2015 11:33AM
Awesome so I have the yongnuo rf 602 rx and rf 600tx trigger which seems to work with the canon 430ex ii but it seems to take up to 1 minute before I can resist using the flash is that right? So all I have to buy is another rf 602rx transmitter. And thr rf 600tx will shoot multiple flashes
1 Apr 2015 12:43PM
I don't understand your question, "it seems to take up to 1 minute before I can resist using the flash is that right?"

You put your 430EXII on the RF602RX, switch to manual mode and RF602TX on the camera that it. You can start shooting straight away. There is no waiting. You should go to www.strobist.com and read Lighting 101. It will answer all your questions.
1 Apr 2015 1:02PM

Quote:Awesome so I have the yongnuo rf 602 rx and rf 600tx trigger which seems to work with the canon 430ex ii but it seems to take up to 1 minute before I can resist using the flash is that right?

Do you mean it takes a minute for the flash to charge up? It should not take that long

Quote:So all I have to buy is another rf 602rx transmitter. And thr rf 600tx will shoot multiple flashes

You need another receiver (that was probably a typo, there) and, yes, you are good to go
teerex 5 5
1 Apr 2015 9:19PM
Yeah it won't let me keep firing the flash takes ages to reload. Ok cool any chance you could send a link of exactly what I need and settings to put the camera or flashes on to make sure they fire again really appreciate all the help
1 Apr 2015 11:06PM
I don't want to sound mean, but it does sounds like you don't understand the basic of using flash. You are better off watching some tutorials on youtube first.

The recycle time for 430EX should be about 2-3s even at full power. Is that what you mean? If its longer than that, its something else.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.