Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Canon 500d over exposure

SpanishDave 10 11 Spain
24 Jul 2012 2:32PM
In auto mode, the same shot is F5.6 and 1/200th, this picture comes out at least 2 stops over exposed
Ian-Jones 17 133 2 United Kingdom
24 Jul 2012 9:35PM
I had a smilar problem with my 5D. I bought a 2nd hand Sigma 120-400 and on it's 2nd outing everything I shot was overexposed by 2 stops. I blamed myself for inadvertantly twiddling a nob etc. until this happened a 3rd and 4th time. I got into the habit of clearing all cameras settings before shooting. This solved the problem even if I don't know why this happened with this lens.
mackaycs 6 1
17 Dec 2014 7:38PM
Hi, my 500D has something quite similar although I'm not experienced enough to understand the degree of stops etc that it is overexposed, but basically I'm getting randomly almost white photos or highly over exposed. I only seem to get this when pointing slightly more towards the brighter sky (when we had sun in the summer), when I pointed flatter trajectory more shaded areas the picture takes fine. Managed to replicate it several times.

Just dropped it at the local camera shop to check and they are suggesting to "replace the metering PCB" for approx. £200.

Just putting this out there in case anyone strongly disagrees, or can add any insight.

For context, I'm using a Sigma lens and it's been working perfectly for approx. 5 years before this problem.

Thanks
LenShepherd 12 4.3k United Kingdom
19 Dec 2014 5:57PM

Quote:
My camera (Cannon 500d) has started to over expose pictures by approximately 2 stops. A thin dark shadow also appears across the top of the image.

The camera shutter blades travel vertically.
The dark shadow indicates the second shutter curtain is opening late and the 2 stops over exposed area indicates the first curtain is staying open much too long.
You may need a camera shutter repair Sad

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.