Tamron Summer Instant Savings - Save up to 200!

Canon 50D + 28-300 L Soft? in need of answers please!

msw109 13 10 United Kingdom
9 Jan 2009 8:33PM
hi there, i am new to this forum so hello everyone. i have recently upgraded my Canon gear to a 50D with a 28-300 L series. my brother is a keen photographer and had recently upgraded himself to a Nikon D90 with 18-200 VR lens. we had a bit of a test session last night and for the love of god my Canon kit could not produce anywhwere near as sharp and colourful pictures as my brothers Nikon kit. obviously this was extremely disappointing as i would have expected my gear to have given the Nikon a run for its money(being 3 times the value). shorlty after i bought the lens i dropped it from waist height onto a carpeted floor. would i be right in saying that this could have effected its performance in the sharpness stakes and also would you expect my Canon kit to edge the Nikon kit under normal circumstances?
steve_p 16 1.2k England
9 Jan 2009 8:57PM
Hi and welcome to the site.
I would have thought so,although the VR lens may have given an edge to the sharpness.
Did you compare results at the same focal length?
If you were to use the Canon lens at 200-300 handheld camera shake would be an issue.
Steve
justin c 18 5.2k 36 England
9 Jan 2009 9:07PM
The Canon gear should produce just as sharp and colourful results as the Nikon. In fact the vast majority of modern DSLR's are more than capable of producing the goods.
What's of far more relevence though is the photographers ability, not only in capturing the optimum image but knowing how to process the image to it's potential (particularly if shooting in Raw mode).

L lenses are generally pretty robust so it's quite possible your dropped lens suffered no long term damage, but then again it's equally possible that it may have been damaged, perhaps not externally but enough to knock-out the focus slightly.

Have it checked out by an authorized Canon service center if you think it's focus/sharpness is under par since the fall.
9 Jan 2009 9:13PM
hi steve, i used a tripod on a worktop and a window sill so scientfically we carried out the test reasonably stringently. there is definitely something amiss witht the Canon gear. i have been told Lehmann Direct are a competent repair centre if it comes to it. my shots should be sharp "off the shelf" if you like. i had a 24-105 L before the 28-300 with my 40D and it never let me down sharpness wise. maybe i should go back to it!!! yeah we tested the lenses at similar focal lengths. i have not bben impressed with my 28-300 L so far, it has IS and is built like a tank. it should perform better than it does. maybe i have a bad copy
steve_kershaw 17 2.3k 4 United Kingdom
9 Jan 2009 9:20PM
It does sound faulty but
can you try another lens on the 50D?

did you try manually focusing the lens?
9 Jan 2009 9:26PM
yeah its nothing to do with the focussing, the pictures just seem soft and nowhere near the quality of my brothers D90. i have a sigma 10-20 but its a bit unfair to compare the 2. the shots from that seem ok in relative comparison. i wish i had a different body to test the 28-300 on!
mark_delta 14 1.3k
9 Jan 2009 9:36PM
What you have to understand is
Nikon have zoomed ahead in image quality by forging links with sony they have a flag ship dslr the d3 which is absolutely light years ahead of the canon equivalent so it is only fair for the lower models to perform the same.
lobsterboy Plus
18 15.0k 13 United Kingdom
9 Jan 2009 9:44PM

Quote:Yeah its nothing to do with the focussing, the pictures just seem soft and nowhere near the quality of my brothers D90.

Are you comparing jpgs or raw files?
9 Jan 2009 9:51PM
i shot the canon in jpeg fine quality and i suspect my brother was shooting in raw. the pictures were compared on our cameras lcd's as they are both 920,000 pixels. the difference was apparent even on the lcd's. i have now just compared them on my laptop and i am fighting back the tears!!
justin c 18 5.2k 36 England
9 Jan 2009 10:00PM
You're comparing apples with pears.
To compare the two accurately you need to keep all the variables the same (or as close as possible).
The camera's LCD screen isn't the place to get an accurate indication of image quality.
As an example, if I compared the jpeg on the LCD screen of my 100 Canon A620 to the Raw image on the LCD screen of my 1K+ Canon 5D, the 5D would go in the dusbin tomorrow Wink
9 Jan 2009 10:03PM
scientifically yes but take my brothers D90 out of the equation, i am still very disappointed with the results of the 28-300L. has anyone got any pics with a 28-300 they can post so i can cross reference ??
lobsterboy Plus
9 Jan 2009 10:05PM
Colours will be affected by the colour space you use, setup of your monitor, etc,etc.
Sharpness will be affected by the jpg sharpening settings. generally images from a Canon DSLR will apear soft as it allows you to apply sharpening as part of the post processing.

If you want a second opinion you can happily email me a file.

Quote:The camera's LCD screen isn't the place to get an accurate indication of image quality.

Never a truer word spoken Wink
9 Jan 2009 10:06PM
will send you some jpegs if you like lobsterboy. let me know your email
lobsterboy Plus
9 Jan 2009 10:08PM
ChrisATshepherdpics.com

replace AT with @
BobL 16 3 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2009 2:54AM
I have used a 50D with 18-200. on the first 5 or 6 on my page.
Bob

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.