Regatta Offer: Save 15% With Code 15OFF

canon 550d corrosion

3 Jan 2011 9:28PM
Hi all , I bought a Canon eos 550D in May 2010 and during the recent snow it died a sudden death , i was always very careful not to let the camera get wet in any way , I returned it to the shop where I bought it and they sent it to a canon passed repair company , they said it has corrosion inside and would cost in-excess of 250 to put it right , is my camera not covered by a canon warranty since it is not even a year old . if anyone has had any experience dealing with canon and know what my rights are , I would dearly love to know .

Thank you
John
cambirder 17 7.2k England
3 Jan 2011 10:08PM
If it really has corrosion then water has got in, and I'm afraid no warranty will cover that.
triumphv8 14 475 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2011 11:17PM
Ask for detailed specifics of what type of corrosion, where it is and pictures.

Why has the corrosion stopped it working ?

It's going to come down to trying to prove if the corrosion was there beforehand versus you getting it wet.
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2011 11:23PM
Ask them for photographic evidence of the corrosion and ask for the body back. If you are confident you have not let the camera get wet or stored/used it in humid conditions you could pay for an independent inspection. Is the corrosion in the battery area? if yes then the question will be have you used non-Canon batteries.

to be honest in a 7 month old device the most likely cause is a big exposure to moisture. The reason the cost is so high is they are probably replacing all of the electronics and moving parts, and in that light 250 is a not bad offer.

but if you are going to fight it you need to be certain as often with corrosion you can see the fluid entry path and you can often see whether the damage occurred post manufacture or not. I am guessing the corrosion is in one of the circuit boards.
seanslevin 17 9 Ireland
4 Jan 2011 10:05AM
Thanks Guys , looks like I'm going to have to pay for it , but what annoys me most is I have lost faith in the camera .

thanks all
John

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.