Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Canon 550Ex Flash - Strobe

15 Mar 2004 9:32PM
I've just ordered one of these, and wondered if anyone has used the strobe light effect to any good effect?

Cheers,
Gav
craigdonnelly 19 260 England
16 Mar 2004 12:28PM
Nope. Not yet. Though i do have some plans for giving it a go! Gonna need a black out for it to work properly though! Let me know how you get on.
park my ferret 17 1.0k United Kingdom
16 Mar 2004 5:59PM
I got one and didn't even know it had a strobe effect ... serve me right for never reading manuals I suppose! How does it work?
mkenney 17 64
16 Mar 2004 6:23PM
I've been thinking of buying a 550EX flash, can you give your opinions on this flash. What have been the highlights and lowlights...was it worth the money?...
Mags
park my ferret 17 1.0k United Kingdom
16 Mar 2004 6:31PM
not sure if it's worth the money, but whatever you do don't buy the 440ex. at least the 550 is full adjustable and has loads of features. ... I use mine for social photo's and it does the job ...
but for outdoor fashion fill in flash work I still prefer my 20 quid centon basic flashgun - it's more predictable than the 550 and has an external sync trigger in socket too!!
craigdonnelly 19 260 England
17 Mar 2004 10:46PM
You have to programme it - set the number of flashes and the flash duration etc - quite complex. As for the 550 - it gets slagged off a LOT. Wait for the replacement - its coming soon!
Burgy_Tog 17 634 United Kingdom
18 Mar 2004 7:13AM
"Wait for the replacement - its coming soon!"

You know this? have there been announcements that I have missed.

i know that Canon have changed the way that the 1D mkII supports the 550EX, but hadn't heard of a replacement gun? Knowing Canon, they wouldn't have changed the mkII to wok with the 550, they would just launch a new gun (normally at the same time as the camera)

Burgy
User_Removed 19 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
18 Mar 2004 7:19AM
I understood that the changes are in the camera and that new flashguns are not being announced (or certainly not in connection with 'fault fixing').

The E-TTL system in use by the current models has long been of dubious reliability (to be polite) and the only way to guarantee correct exposure was by using the 'FEL' function (flash exposure lock) which fired a pre-flash so that the camera could make correct exposure calculations.

Whilst this worked, it is obviously useless in a fast moving/changing situation and so most photographers could not take advantage of this.

Canon have made changes to the ETTL processor in the camera and it is now called ETTL-II (suprise suprise) and is supposed to work like a dream (according to Canon USA's Technical Direcor - Chuck Westfall).

Barrie Smile
ZenTog 19 7.9k 1 England
26 Mar 2004 9:18PM
its worth the money just for the power and the strobe facility, check out my mountain board pictures in the sports section in the gallery it was my first attempt using this flash
I have misynched the camera to the flash on purpoise to catch movement trails and light trails

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.