Canon 5D, 6D and 600 ex rt flash question

trivets12 16 1.3k
18 Dec 2013 11:51AM
I have just purchased the Canon 600 ex rt flash gun and it is superb. I am going to use it for the first time at a wedding in January but cannot seem to get a clear answer about flash compensation on the camera and flash. I appreciate that the 5D is much older than the 6D, but in both cases, if flash compensation is set on the flash but not on the cameras - does the camera override the flash or vice versa? I have scoured the instruction booklet this morning again, and it seems to say that on the 6D it will override the camera but how about older models like the 5D?
I'd appreciate advice on this,
Thank you
Trudy
duratorque 17 427 United Kingdom
18 Dec 2013 12:14PM
I do not know the answer, but I would only set flash compensation on one device. Leave compensation to 0 on the flash and use the camera only. There will only be confusion if you use both. Sorry I can't help.
18 Dec 2013 1:38PM
Not sure if the 5D will override the 600 ex rt. You may have to adjust the settings on the flash. I know that's what i had to do on my old 30D with the 430 ex2, however on my newer 60D, i can use flash compensation on the camera.
mikehit 11 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
18 Dec 2013 2:15PM
My 4-year old 7D will control the flash from the camera settings - it should be mentioned in the manual
Dvaid 11 257 United Kingdom
18 Dec 2013 9:17PM
Which 5D ?

If the 5D is an old one, mk1 or possibly mk2, it may be that there is a compatability mismatch and the new 600 Ex RT is incompatable with the old camera.

Similarly my 430 EX(1) is incompatable with my 7D, and 5D mk 3. i.e. although the 430 flashes, I can't control it from the more modern cameras, (but they will control my 600EX RT)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.