Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

canon 5d mark 2 video quality

5 Mar 2011 11:26AM
Having just bought the canon 5d mark 2 I am unhappy with the video quality which seems very jerky. Are there any settings I need to change?
link removed by epz, sorry against site T&Cs
Carabosse 17 41.5k 270 England
5 Mar 2011 11:38AM
Can you tell us on what you are viewing the video? If it is on your computer it is possible you may need to change the computer.

I suggest connecting the camera direct to an HDTV and seeing what the video looks like on that.
5 Mar 2011 11:41AM
I'm watching it on my mac display which is normally brilliant! cant work it out, maybe its the software ie imovie, I'll try it straight from the camera and see what happens
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
5 Mar 2011 6:17PM
Works fine on our Windows computers....Grin

Looks FAB on Dell, HP & NEC monitors, As well as Panasonic wide screen HD/TV.....Smile

As Chris has suggested, Maybe you need more horsepower.....Wink
justin c 17 5.1k 36 England
5 Mar 2011 8:15PM
If you want to see what it should look like when playing it smoothly and you have a decent HD television, plug the camera straight into that with an HDMI lead.
For viewing it on your computer smoothly, as already mentioned, an upgrade might be necessary, perhaps just your graphics card if your lucky.
It's also worth trying different software to view your movies, i.e. Windows Media Player, VLC player.

I had the same problem with my Canon 7D movies. A move to a slightly newer processer and a graphics card update solved the problem and they now play back perfectly smoothly.
park my ferret 17 1.0k United Kingdom
5 Mar 2011 8:25PM
If you're using a mac try converting the clip using QuickTime pro to an 'apple pro res' file, this may play easier, but most recent macs should play 5d footage perfectly - mines a 2 year old basic iMac and it plays the footage well

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.