Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Christmas Prize Draw 2017

Canon 5d Mark 4 and Sigma lenses

I've just retired, and can now finally spend a great deal of time on my passion, photography. As a treat I have splashed out on a Canon 5d mark 4. I have also treated myself to a couple up to 105mm L series lenses. My son has lent me his 100-400 L series, for a forthcoming trip up to Scotland. I have, over the years owned, and been a great fan of the 50-500 Signa lens. I to try and get the best lenses for the mark 4, but as I'm not working, making my pension stretch is vital. Should I opt for the Canon lens, or just take the plunge and get all Vanon L series lenses? Any and all advice welcome. I prefer to shoot both macro, (flowers, insects etc) plus wildlife and landscapes.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Mike_Smith Plus
10 441 1 United Kingdom
11 Aug 2017 8:48PM
Great camera, but lens wise it all comes down to money. L series lens are expensive, but give quality results and also are built to last. The 100-400 L you mention, I am about to buy myself. In my opinion, judging by what you like to shoot why not go for the canon 100-400 L which is also brilliant for Dragonflies Butterflies etc apart from other wildlife too. For real macro the 100 F2.8 L, and then for your landscapes there's quite a lot of choice to choose from.
So I would say go for the L series canon lenses, if you can stretch to the cost. Also you could go for good quality used gear from the likes of MPB, who give a 6 month warranty on there used gear.
dark_lord Plus
13 2.1k 495 England
11 Aug 2017 9:50PM
Go for the Canon L series if at all possible. That's a great camera so it really benefits from the good glass.
Having said that the Sigma and Tamron macro lenses are very good and probably indistinguishable in most cases. I still have an 'old' Canon 100 mm macro which still gives super performance (in those days the macro lenses were never given L status though to all intents and purposes they were).
However, I'd second Mikes suggestion about looking second hand. For landscapes youcould pick up for examp;e a 16-35 IS mk1 for a lot less than the current mk2 though if you want new my choice would be the current f/4 version rather than the f/2.8 as it's cheaper, lighter, just as good and you likely won't want the widest aperture. It's looking like my next lens in fact.
11 Aug 2017 11:00PM
I am so grateful for your thoughts. I had thought the Canon lens was the best route. Many thanks for the suggestions on other lenses.
Chris_L Plus
3 4.2k United Kingdom
12 Aug 2017 1:41AM
I'd agree with above, up to a point, for some focal lengths Sigma Art lenses perform better than the Canon equivs

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.