Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Canon 6D

tomlad 14 5 England
4 Jan 2016 10:39PM
Hi all,
I'm looking at buying the 6D,
Positives and negatives please. Sits nicely in my price bracket, just can't push to the 5D mkIII.
Thanks
Tom
Munro 13 45 United Kingdom
5 Jan 2016 12:42AM
Been there myself in the past couple of months, in fact I even toyed with switching to Nikon....

I eventually opted for the 6D. However it is worth noting whether it's differences from the 5D Mikiii will be a show stopper for you. 6D is not a full metal body, top shutter speed is only 1/4000 as opposed to 1/8000 and also a less advanced focussing system.

However, and this is a big however, for the extra 1,000 for the 5D, will the 6D deliver what you need for the type of photography you intend to do. In my case as I don't do much wildlife or sports the 6D suited my needs pretty much. In addition I was fortunate to already own a number of 'L' lenses and so I was able to transfer these to the new body.

It is worth remembering that any EF-S lenses will not fit either of these bodies.

A further thing I benefited from was from a money off offer from Canon and also the trade in of a 50D with WEX which took the camera price downt to 800. It is worth checking 'camerapricebuster for best current deals.

Finally, I have to confirm I have found the 6D to have been a great purchase, for a price that was less than I originally paid for my 7D mki which I still use.
Andy_Curtis 7 808 United Kingdom
5 Jan 2016 7:07AM
I was in the same boat last week. I was looking at the Nikon D610 and the Canon 6D.

In the end, the d610 was cheaper and I personally prefered the handling of it. Its a tough choice to make.
Would the 5d be that much more worth the price it is asking over the 6D? The 6D has excellent image quality and great handling, and is smaller than the 5D.
5 Jan 2016 8:49AM
Hi Tom
I've owned the 6d now for about 18months, can honestly say its a great camera I do Landscape, Wildlife, Macro never had any problem even with air shows and birds in flight which a lot of people say its not the best camera for, few friends have the 5d111 and I'm not in anyway at a disadvantage, as for the low light capabilities amazing . Peter
RoyChilds 13 115 England
5 Jan 2016 9:23AM
Sold my Nikon D600 and D610 due to oil spots issue on both cameras so switched to Canon finally bought a 6D I am very happy with it. for me it ticks a lot of boxes, its small so fairly light to carry, it's full frame and delivers excellent image quality it's well built and weather sealed. I do mainly landscape stuff . A lot depends on what you want to shoot, its biggest drawback is the lack of af points. There is double cash back from Canon at the moment so the price is even better but there is talk of a new model coming this year but I guess the price will be a lot more. The lens I use are the 16-35 L f4 is, 24-70 L f4 is, and the 35mm f2 is. All work superb on this camera. Happy shopping

Roy

UKmac 16 5 Scotland
5 Jan 2016 10:23AM
Hi, went through the same thing after my 5D Mk1 broke twice? Ended up with the 6D, Great camera and no complaints. Still miss the feel of the 5D but the additional cost of a 5D Mkiii I could not justify. I think it would struggle for sports photography but anything else, it fits the bill.
tomlad 14 5 England
5 Jan 2016 12:45PM
A big thank you to all your comments.
On the back of all your advice, think I'll nip out and get one today.
Thanks all
TomTongue
JackAllTog Plus
12 6.3k 58 United Kingdom
5 Jan 2016 12:53PM
Good choice, Got mine about 9 months ago - loved the low light performance and extra shallow DOF possible over an aps-c sensor. Do slightly miss having 1/8000th but hardly use that. Focus points are perhaps a bit light but work for me most of the time. Love it.
User_Removed 6 1.0k United Kingdom
5 Jan 2016 2:15PM

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.