Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Canon 6D Vertical Battery Grip

Mozzytheboy 11 710 4 United Kingdom
7 Jan 2014 8:13PM
Two questions if I may?

I'd like to get a grip for my new 6D and whilst looking around and seeing 150 for the Canon one, I saw quite a few on a well known auction site for about 38. Anyone happen to have tried one, and if so is it probably the same as the Canon version?

The LP-E6 batteries from Canon are 40 each whereas unbranded are two for 15. All fine as I got a couple for my 500D and they were just as good as Canon ones. However, I've come across snippets that suggest non Canon will NOT work in the 6D ... and I assume other cameras that take that battery? So again has anyone used a non branded LP-E6 and found that it actually worked?

Thank you as always.

Mozzy
big fella 18 485 England
7 Jan 2014 8:31PM
I have non Canon grips for a 7D and a 600D; the 7D one is a great fit and functions perfectly, the 600d version is not a fantastic fit (a small gap between body and grip) but it works fine (@20 including postage, not worth complaining about). I had the genuine Canon versions on my 5D and also on my 10D and 20D. The Canon 20D grip I have has issues (reports dead or dying battery, even when fully charged). I've used clone batteries in all my Canon's and they work fine (I think the 7D and the 6D have the same battery?) My 2 clone versions are ok. They all claim to have the thermal protection in them like the genuine one's do, but I never leave them "unattended" when charging, just in case.

Andy
7 Jan 2014 8:39PM
Thanks Andy, appreciate you responding.

Mozzy
dark_lord Plus
17 2.9k 784 England
7 Jan 2014 9:12PM
I have a non-Canon LP-E6 in my 5D3. i get a message along the lines of 'camera cannot communicate with battery, continue to use battery?'
I select 'yes' and all is fine.

Not specific to your 6D though I doubt there would be an issue, but others reading this with a 5D3 may find it useful.
7 Jan 2014 10:18PM
OEM battery grips can make you wince at the price compared with "compatables" ...I use Nikon not Canon but figured that the maker's own is 100% matched and any problems are probably of my making..(or Nikon's..) so I've bitten the bullet and no regrets - it fits, works - and if it glitches I can complain directly to Nikon - who probably would take no notice if I told them I'd used a grip from Charlie Chan..

But... I guess plenty of folk have no problems with other makes... so I'll get back in my box..
dark_lord Plus
17 2.9k 784 England
8 Jan 2014 11:13AM
A Charlie Chan battery grip, now that would be cool Grin
8 Jan 2014 11:24AM
Damn....you're probably right.. my attempt at not being too...errm.....politically/racially disturbing has backfired...Wink
derekhansen 13 210 24 United Kingdom
8 Jan 2014 12:46PM
I bought a compatible grip for my 5D Mk2 from Premier Ink. I was not impressed with the quality and fit and had problems with functionality whilst using on my tripod (strangely when hand held it worked perfectly well) My experience means that if I was looking to buy I would spend the extra money and get the Canon grip.
colin beeley Plus
18 1.2k 10 England
8 Jan 2014 5:15PM
get the canon one cheap enough here
8 Jan 2014 5:31PM
Thank you all. After listening and reading the PM's I'm delighted to say sense has prevailed (I think) and I have purchased a brand new one for 120 via eBay which included special insured. Now all I need is Ian to call to say my 6D is in Smile

Thank you thank you thank you one and ALL! You never fail.

Mike
colin beeley Plus
18 1.2k 10 England
8 Jan 2014 5:51PM
bloody hell in got mine from digitalrev in three days !
redsnappa 19 2.8k United Kingdom
8 Jan 2014 6:51PM

Quote:sense has prevailed (I think) and I have purchased a brand new one for 120

Remember You do not always get what you paid for
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
8 Jan 2014 7:34PM
But nobody ever paid 300 for a 1Ds battery.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.