canon 70-300L lens

jingler 11 18
29 May 2011 6:56PM
anyone had any experiance with the above lens
thanks in advance

jingler
StrayCat 17 19.1k 3 Canada
29 May 2011 7:06PM
If you do a forum search you should find it mentioned in a thread we had going a couple months ago. It was highly recommended.
mikehit 12 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
29 May 2011 9:48PM
I hired one about a month ago and was very impressed. It is really sharp and the 4-stop IS allows some very low shutter speeds.

I am only just processing some comparisons with the non-L version but my first impression was that you would have to be every sure that extra quality was worth the price. Yes, it is a better all-round lens and the speed of AF is far superior but the non-L version is such a good bargain that it will suit most people. But if I had not already bought the 70-200L IS then I think I would seriously have considered the extra 200 to get the 70-300L.
NeilSchofield Plus
14 1.7k 1 United Kingdom
30 May 2011 9:18AM
i have one and its a great walkabout lens, nice size and focal range, quick to focus, and excellent IQ, it is an L after all

However its f4 to f5.6, will only take a Kenko teleconverter( the 1.4x DGX works well with it), strangely canons wont work with it, oh, and you don't get a tripod ring
brian1208 18 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
30 May 2011 3:26PM
I replaced my 70-200 f4LIS + 300 f4LIS with the new 70-300 L and haven't regretted it once, If you wanta compact lens that covers the range of these two then its definitely worth giving it a try (its no about the same price as the 70-200 F4LIS + canon 1.4xTC which is often quoted as another route to this range)

Quote:strangely canons wont work with it,
but that's down to canon's decision to design the lens so it physically impossible to attache the canon TC!
NeilSchofield Plus
14 1.7k 1 United Kingdom
31 May 2011 6:13PM
Yes its very strange that Canon would want to increase the sales of Kenko Converters, its the only logical outcome of their design decision, mind bogglingly crass is another polite way of putting it.

I sold my 2x Canon converter through the classifieds to become the proud owner of two 1.4x converters, having tried the Kenko, I am tempted to sell the Canon 1.4 x
Overread 13 4.1k 19 England
31 May 2011 6:19PM
Canon don't make their teleconverters to fit the lens because if you attached them you'd lose auto focus. On all canon camera bodies, outside of the 1D line, the AF stops on the camera if the detected max aperture is smaller than f5.6. This is done because after that point the AF speed, accuracy and overall reliability drops off very fast - of course some lenses and situations let you get away with it and some don't (eg views above suggest that the 70-300mm + 1.4TC works decently well, but the 100-400mm + 1.4TC does not generally AF well at all).

Canon has a place in the market for their TCs and its fitted to their telephoto prime lenses - their L series - that is where they expect the market for their TCs.

Note on some newer camera bodies with liveview you can AF up to f8 (like on the 1D series) but this is because its using a slower, different kind of AF in liveview. The loss is one of speed; so whilst you can AF up to a smaller max aperture it might well not be any good, speedwise, for action.
NeilSchofield Plus
14 1.7k 1 United Kingdom
31 May 2011 6:39PM
Yes I use it on a 1D, as I think, do many others.

I will keep the Canon converter because of the micro adjust facility which is still available with my 300 prime, the one draw back of the Kenko converter is that its not recognised by the AF micro adjust function certainly on my 1D
brian1208 18 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
31 May 2011 7:41PM

Quote:the one draw back of the Kenko converter is that its not recognised by the AF micro adjust function certainly on my 1D
likewise on my 7D, which is a pain because it needs a touch of adjustment with the 1.4XTC and if I forget to cancel this when I remove the TC I start wondering why my lovely new lens has gone out of focus! Tongue
jingler 11 18
1 Jun 2011 5:15AM
hi
thanks for the input
i have been able to use a tamron 70-300 sp (latest model) and i have had good results.
obviously not as well built as the canon but a third of the price as for the image quality the tamron to my eyes is good.
the problem i have is trying to get a hold of a canon even to handle never mind use and at 1200 to buy it could be a costly mistake.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.