GB Sports Photographer & The Panasonic LUMIX S1

Canon 7D

5 Sep 2013 8:58PM
Hi All,

I am currently looking to upgrade my camera and I think I've decided on a 7D. I anticipate having about 550-650 to spend but I would prefer to get it as cheap as I can (I don't mind if used or brand new, as long as it works!) So I was just wondering if anybody knows of a good reliable place where I can source this camera from?

Also, is it worth the risk buying a refurbished camera? Has anyone else ever bought one? If so what was it like?

Thanks for your help,
Connor

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog Plus
10 5.7k 58 United Kingdom
5 Sep 2013 11:14PM
I'd buy a refurb one if i saw one come up when i wanted one. Ebay used to have a canon store front for this.
Upgrading from you 350D should be a good step for iso/focusing/fps, but i would point out that you are still using a 18-55 kit lens on your recent shots and lens's can be a better move sometimes.
good luck.
GarethRobinson 13 1.0k 2 United Kingdom
5 Sep 2013 11:40PM
A refurb if it is from canon should be like a new camera and come with a warranty.
ChrisV Plus
12 2.3k 26 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2013 1:15AM
...as others have said, but I would also add that the 7D is now a very old design. I've never used one, but I've heard many express disappointment with high ISO performance which appears to be better in any subsequent Canon with the same 18mp sensor.

If you need a camera with decent build and weather sealing, fast AF with tracking and a high burst rate, the 7D is a good option. If those things aren't of the highest importance I'd look for a different model. If you don't have a heavy investment in lenses you could also consider a different manufacturer. Unless you can find a real bargain I don't think buying something that's been on the market for more than three years is a great idea. Prices will drop like bricks when a replacement arrives (and some may count the 70d as a suitable replacement).
ARI 16 533 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2013 12:00PM
hdew cameras, new body 699 all in. I have bought canon 20-200f2.8 L mk 2, canon x3 teleconverter mk3 from them with no problems. hdew cameras are in the uk and products are dispatched from the UK.
I have bought two EOS 7D bodies from Digital Rev in Hong Kong not long after the model came out, price quoted was all inclusive, they are selling the body fr 699 also.

http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-7d-digital-slr-camera-body-494-p.asp
ShaunsPics 8 87 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2013 1:01PM
I would look at Nikon or pentax with your budget the canon 7d is well past its sellby date in my book and has nothing to offer in picture quality but fuzzy pics that are out of focus most of the time.....(check flicker for proof).
mikehit 10 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2013 1:21PM
If pics are out of focus 'most of the time' I would look at the camera user first and not the camera. About the only way it is 'past its sell by date' is in high ISO quality - the AF system is still up there with the best and neither Nikon nor Pentax have anything at that price range to beat it.
If frame rate or AF is not the main driver I would agree the 60D or 70D is a better bet.
6 Sep 2013 3:54PM
I take photographs with a 5Dmk11, my husband with a 7D. I do all the photoshop editing for our wildlife photography business and I am impressed by the photographs taken with the 7D. It is generally used in conjunction with a very old Canon 500ml F4.5 for photographing wildlife, and I have not noted any issues with it at all. However, I expect very high ISOs to be much improved in more recent cameras, but how often do you use them. Using it at 400asa for flight shots does not seem to give us any problems with noise, even when the image is blown up to A3. In my opinion it is a very useable piece of kit.
ARI 16 533 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2013 4:47PM
I have taken ove ten thousand pictures over the last 2.5 years with these bodies. High ISO is noisy, but I rarely venture there. AF, high buffer has been a great boon to the wildlife persuit. The weakness of the bodies would show up when using 600mm + 1.4 or times 2 extender, sometimes both, with a 1.6 crop body. Past it, do not think so. I still use a 5D mark 1 full frame with 13000 shuttercount and it definately not past it.
It is the person behind the viewfinder is usually the one that is the past it component, in my view.
elowes 15 2.8k United Kingdom
6 Sep 2013 5:34PM
I really like my 7D for handling, focus, metering but admit a good technique is needed to get best results. Perhaps I am spoiled by the 5DII I have.
rickie 14 100 2 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2013 8:21PM
Bought mine from hdew cameras in may 2013
No problem with company and a 3 year warranty
7 Sep 2013 12:55PM
Thanks for all your help. I am also looking at investing in some new lenses, but I was waiting until I sorted a camera first.
The majority of people I have spoken to have said that the 7D is a worthwhile investment.

Thanks rickie and ARI, company sounds good. Will have a look and try and sort myself something out.
8 Sep 2013 4:08PM
to upset the majority i have got a sony a77 paper weight sat on the desk at home and wouldnt touch a canon with a ten barge pole or syphon on it if it was on fire seen the results first hand from people we know.photoshop this just lightroom that and we might get a half descent shot. mine straight off the card and put on show no photoshop lightroom or other trickery just honest photograghs clean sharp straight out of the camera shots, i am now using a nikon d5100 or 2,1 with the kit lense or 70-300mm the other with a40mm micro lense all budget kit but still better a canon by a long shot. save your money and look before you leap just go on flicker and browse at what you are thinking of buying and look at the other options available the proof is in the the pictures if you look at the camera specs and go to more info it will tell you who has to use software to get a half descent photo what software has been used.since film has gone out of the window real photography has gone with it, the sensor is the most important bit of kit in the camera and where the money should be spent.its no good when software makes the photographer the art is in the equipment used end of it
MarkBroughton 11 286 1 United Kingdom
8 Sep 2013 4:51PM
Time to hide this topic before i say something i may later regret..... Wink
justin c 15 5.0k 36 England
8 Sep 2013 4:56PM

Quote:to upset the majority i have got a sony a77 paper weight sat on the desk at home and wouldnt touch a canon with a ten barge pole or syphon on it if it was on fire seen the results first hand from people we know.photoshop this just lightroom that and we might get a half descent shot. mine straight off the card and put on show no photoshop lightroom or other trickery just honest photograghs clean sharp straight out of the camera shots, i am now using a nikon d5100 or 2,1 with the kit lense or 70-300mm the other with a40mm micro lense all budget kit but still better a canon by a long shot. save your money and look before you leap just go on flicker and browse at what you are thinking of buying and look at the other options available the proof is in the the pictures if you look at the camera specs and go to more info it will tell you who has to use software to get a half descent photo what software has been used.since film has gone out of the window real photography has gone with it, the sensor is the most important bit of kit in the camera and where the money should be spent.its no good when software makes the photographer the art is in the equipment used end of it

I expect that one day, when, and if, you learn a little more about photography, you'll look back on your statement above and feel completely embarrassed that you could ever have written such an utterly daft and complete load of nonsense.
Sometimes, if you know very little about the subject, it's best just to keep quiet.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.