GB Sports Photographer & The Panasonic LUMIX S1

Canon 7D

8 Sep 2013 5:26PM
SadSadSadSadoh dear soar point then mine are not blurd out of focus and straight of a camera ouch touchy subject photograghy is about cameras not softwarwe or if i only spent more time on the shot to get it right in the first placeGrinGrin

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MarkBroughton 11 286 1 United Kingdom
8 Sep 2013 5:35PM
The original poster was asking specifically about the Canon 7D.. and whether in anybody's opinion it was worth buying one and if anyone had experience of refurbished camera bodies. I'm not sure how we got to "all canon cameras are rubbish" and what photography is all about....

I think most of the people who buy and use Canon digital cameras (of which there is a lot in existence) will disagree with your ridiculous claims. Photography is an individual's thing, its for what you want to get out of it, not what somebody tells you its all about in a forum.

Or maybe, like I have just done, they will read over your post and giggle to themselves.... Smile
elowes 15 2.8k United Kingdom
8 Sep 2013 5:38PM
Did some 'tests' to see how good the 7D is with 70-200 F4. 160iso using flash as the light source (to avoid my shaky hands getting in the way) the detail is excellent. At 320 iso the detail is excellent. So any problems I have had are down to poor hand holding and less than good exposure.

Confused with ghosthunter's post. Eventually I got some idea as to what he is trying to say. I think the ideas are a throw back to the early days of digital and are not pertinent to 21st century photography.
mikehit 10 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
9 Sep 2013 10:22AM

Quote:Oh dear soar point then mine are not blurd out of focus and straight of a camera ouch touchy subject photograghy is about cameras not softwarwe or if i only spent more time on the shot to get it right in the first place

As you are the one who brought it up, the focus in your PF images are not particularly good examples to be able to trash the 7D as you did.
13 Sep 2013 2:00PM
This really very informatics conversation thanks guys.
Julian 15 76 3 United Kingdom
15 Sep 2013 11:57PM

Quote:Hdew cameras, new body 699 all in. I have bought canon 20-200f2.8 L mk 2, canon x3 teleconverter mk3 from them with no problems. hdew cameras are in the uk and products are dispatched from the UK.
I have bought two EOS 7D bodies from Digital Rev in Hong Kong not long after the model came out, price quoted was all inclusive, they are selling the body fr 699 also.
Online today there at Hdew at 949 not 699

ARI 16 534 United Kingdom
18 Sep 2013 9:38PM
Ho hum, what a bummer. When I posted that link, the price was 699.
ianrobinson 9 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
3 Oct 2013 7:40PM
Well here we go Smile.

As some of you know i have been the very lucky winner in the Wildlife competition.
I won a fantastic 70D and after owning the 7D and 5D mark iii and mkii and the G15 I did not really need another camera, so when my new 70D arrived today I could not wait to play.
I played like crazy trying to find fault, well I was amazed at the IQ and the standard so far with this camera so much so I am now selling my 7D and keeping the 70D and to be honest i can't wait to get my canon 600mm f4 lens on this to see what it can do.
I absolutely love the articulating touch screen which is incredibly responsive and works so well, love the focusing system so far and actually believe it to be better than the 7D IMHO.
The high iso noise is brilliant and is better than the 7D without doubt, at 7fps to me that is more than enough for wildlife photography, I use my 5D mk iii primarily for wildlife and that has 6fps and that is more than enough for me to get that critical shot.
I do love the fact that a crop sensor at last has more than 18 mega pixels, the 70D has 20.2 mega pixels with a digic 5 processor, and with the same 19 point AF system as the 7D it is a better option than the 7D IMHO.
The build quality is actually very nice indeed and compares nicely to the 7D and its build quality, I really don't feel like i have a cheap camera in my hands when holding the 70D.

Your choice of course but the 7D is dated now and I think the 70D is a strong contender to replace the 7D.
If the 70D had an aluminium body it would definitely be replacing the 7D.
ChrisV Plus
12 2.3k 26 United Kingdom
4 Oct 2013 11:39AM
Congratulations, Ian. I've left the Canon APSc format behind in favour of m4/3 [but I'm still holding on to my 5DII for the time being], but it is encouraging to hear that Canon are successful in innovating with this new sensor. I've never owned a 7D - I had the 550D which shared the same sensor tech but apparently had improved noise control.
I'd share your view that given the choice between the 7D and the 70D, the latter would be a wiser purchase if there wasn't a huge difference in price in favour of the older model.

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the new OMD1 which also has phase detection to tackle that Achilles heel of m4/3 up to now - focus tracking. Anyway, enjoy the new camera - sounds like it's a winner, too...
kanash 6 1 United Kingdom
27 Oct 2013 10:08PM
Coming from a 450D I have upgraded to the 7D. Cost was a factor, as would love to go for the 70D. However despite some saying it is dated, I still feel very happy with my choice.
Got mine for 699 body only, as wanted to go to a nearby camera shop. Got a good discount, which enabled me to the 50mm 1.8 II.
Will take a while for me to get used to the new layout and options. For me the results have been so much better than my old 450D. Just get a good lens for what you want to take your shots is the next main part to add to a great setup.
When I was buying the 7D, a Sony rep who was in the store at the time for a event day they were having said they used the 7D for wedding shots and other working events with great results and should find a love for the 7D.
Each to their own by all means for a choice. Just want to say I had been researching the 7D for months now with my kind of budget. Give the time to learn the focusing and other functions well, to have a worthy camera that should give you a good start to get ready for when you next upgrade.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.